The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 2:57 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: LBC Photo Album
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:38 pm 
Web Master
Web Master

The LBC Photo Album is run using coppermine photo album software (http://coppermine-gallery.net/).

The software is FREE and opensource, so it doesn't cost the birdclub anything to install and run...

However, the last update was released in 2010 and since then there has only been security updated. (e.g. the software is slowly going out of date)

To update the photo album to a more modern software might mean losing the images already uploaded, as I doubt there will be an easy way to migrate users, users passwords and photos to a new system? A bespoke system as used by birdguides (http://www.birdguides.com/iris/) would probably cost a large amount of cash to develop/buy?

Therefore, I am guessing the best solution would be to integrate the Lincs Bird Club with a online photo album, such as Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/) which provide 'plugins' to add to the website might be an answer?

I would be interested in feedback of regular users of the LBC Photo Album.....

Thanks

Andrew

Post subject: Re: LBC Photo Album
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:22 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Apologies if I have missed something but doesn't Birdguides only allow a photo 640 pixels wide to be uploaded which is smaller than LBC album?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:33 pm 
North Lincs Bird Recorder
North Lincs Bird Recorder

One of the problems with the current system is the sheer difficulty of re-sizing the pics to the optimum. Other systems resize automatically, like BGu and Facebook. Ease of use must be a factor

John

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:03 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Cannot believe how easy it is to post photos on Twitter too

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:08 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Although resizing is a pain in the proverbial, I for one would not want to lose the photos I have put on the LBC album over the years! Neither would I want to see those of me taken by members usually when I'm not looking to disappear!

I am not and have no intention of joining Facebook or Twitter.

At present the only people that see my photos/videos are myself and pals.

I have thought many times whether to set up a website etc, because it seems a shame that virtually no one gets to see anything I do, other than my writing.

I daresay I'm in the minority, most of the members who post their sightings tend to these days have their own blog or website/s.

Regards

John [-o<

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:56 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

My reason for not posting images is the re-sizing issue..not bothered about lack of quality just the fact i mainly work on ipad & have tried uploading but cant..ive just bagged 6 little owls & a shorty in less than a week..it would of been nice to share with lincs readers because thats where they were taken,
But i understand the cost issue so if its not really broken it really doesnt need fixing..plenty of people do upload & have no problems..i need a laptop.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:07 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Just spent some more time "trying to upload pics" to album but 130kb data is not achievable from ipad..ive installed lots of apps passing image from pillow to post then tried uploading & file size still too big..unfotunately its very easy to upload on another bird site but it would of been nice to do it here..when i finally get a photo on then it means i have purchased a laptop so hopefully will be able to share pics with lincs readers..anybody got any tips..nice ones!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]