The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 10:26 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:05 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Hides and screens were offered in the original plan, but local objectors to the scheme scuppered that
Bushes and trees are to be planted on the strip behind the sea defence but not on it as they are deemed a
risk to the flood defence as roots penertrate the bank.
Of course peoples comments are about what is there now, which will change in the coming years.
John

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:37 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Phil Espin wrote:
I spoke to Mark Adams at the Environment Agency last night. He is the manager for the Donna Nook realignment. He told me there are plans afoot to lock open the sea gates at Pyes Hall by the end of November in order to start the process of salt marsh/mud flat formation. This will not be a complete solution as they believe insufficient seawater will get through to completely flood the area. It will be interesting to see what happens. I made my first complete circumnavigation of the site on Sunday now all the fences are down and it looks really good with some excellent freshwater pools especially in the NW corner.

However EA remains committed to closing the footpath at Pyes Hall in order to make a complete breach and they say they will follow the legal process to get what they planned from the outset.

I wonder if they have now locked open the flood gates? If they have then it may help to alleviate some of the flooding.
I bet the local councillors who blocked the planned breach will be getting nervous as they will be taking a lot of flak from any flood victims.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:48 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I don't remember hearing that anyone from the Marshchapel & North Somercoates area had been flooded when the last tidal surge happened in 2011. Having attended the Parish Council meetings the other year, it was the residents who demanded that their councillors object to the flooding of the agricultural land, and later the attempted closure of the coastal footpath.

Geoff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:22 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

No Geoff, the gates have not been opened as of 10 am this morning.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:22 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Phil Espin wrote:
No Geoff, the gates have not been opened as of 10 am this morning.

So what was the point of building the flood relief scheme which cost millions?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:44 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Had a walk to Pye's this evening to be greeted by the sound of rushing water. The sluice gates have been opened and the tide was flowing in.
My impression is this will not be sufficient to flood a substantial area of the site as the volume of water entering through the gates isn't great enough
to flood before the tide goes out. In the two hours I was there the river level rose approximately twelve inches. Monday's high tide is higher so another
trip is in order.

Regards
Mark.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3