The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:47 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:24 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

The main reedbed leading down to the wader hide has been burned,over half of it in the last week,why we do not know,as in my mind it was a perfectly healthy reedbed,As I understand some management is essential if the reedbed is possibly going to eventually be lost,this is not the case here,six rare birds,red data,use reedbeds,bittern,marsh harrier,crane,cettis warbler,savi"s warbler,bearded tit,aquatic warbler is also a consideration,and reedbeds are used by raptors as roosting in winter,this is in my opinion a serious loss of important habitat just as spring is emerging and will seriously affect birds that may wish to breed or utilise this habitat,if anyone from the lincs trust is reading this ,Then I and others would appreciate a explanation for the distruction of this part of messingham nature reserve.
Roger Hebb.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:25 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Mr Hebb
To try and answer you questions...

The "Wader Hide" reedbed was not considered "healthy" by Natural England and ourselves, due to excessive encroachment by alder and willow scrub on the northern boundary. The density of the reed (stems per square metre) is also in decline.

The reedbed has been divided into 3 sections, to be managed (burnt) on a 4 year rotation. Therefore each section will be managed once in every 12 years, with 3 years between any burn. We do not consider this will "seriously affect" birds using this area. We have struggled to get the work done this winter due to a lack of windy days and the high water levels, so whilst cutting the scrub back, some reed has also been cut and the burn has been rather limited. I acknowledge we have done this rather late in the season, but as things are a bit behind due to the cold winter, we were confident that we were causing no undue disturbance to "rare birds". In an attempt to make the reedbeds suitable for raptors that like using reedbeds, a couple of pallets will be placed at discrete locations with a topping of scrub and reed in an attempt to create slightly raised nest platforms to try and keep the eggs and young out of the water.

As you mention, some management is essential. The techniques we have deployed have been tried and tested at national level on the best reedbeds in the country, with great success, as we can also demonstrate at our own Far Ings NNR. 4 of the 6 "rare birds" that you mention occur there on a regular basis. The Far Ings reedbeds are more intensively managed than MSQ.

Please have faith, Mr Hebb! "Distruction" (sic) is a very emotive word for what is a perfectly normal and acceptable form of reedbed management. The staff and volunteers of LWT will be last people you will find trashing a nature reserve. We care deeply for our sites and the wealth of wildlife, not just birds, they support. We will gladly welcome you on an MSQ work party, or any other work party, to come along to assist with the time consuming and onerous challenges managing our 8794 acres of Lincolnshire entails!

Regards
Dave Bromwich
Head of Nature Reserves
Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:32 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Thanks for that,im sure thats anwsered all the people whove been asking,not just me.
i still feel a large chunk has been took out late on also,i know they have to be managed and all your points are taken on board and i will let others know,
thanks,
Roger.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]