The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Garden
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:02 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I seem to have picked up on this string rather late in the day. Among species which have come to my sunflower heart feeder in the past three years have been dunnock, wren and rook, which clung on with a great deal of vigorous flapping.

John

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:45 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Howdy,

Not doing a full report this time only the highlights, not in the mood :(

February 10th [/b[b]]- 23rd: Coal Tit seen two days. Pair of Robin seen three days. Wren and Dunnock both seen two days.

March 5th: Sprawk over, two Coal Tit, two LT Tit, plus usual

March 8th: Chaffinch - 11 plus usual.

Toodle loo

Max

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:45 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Howdy,

time to get up to date, some strange reason for the past month the birds have been few except for the doves etc.

March 16th:

Coal Tit - 1
Greenfinch
Great Tit - 2
Blue Tit - 4
Goldfinch - 2
Jackdaw
Plus the C Doves and Wood Pigeons

March 19th:

Coal Tit & 8 Goldfinch.

March 20th:

Wren - 2 singing. Never seen two in garden, well pleased!

March 21st:

Blue & Great Tit - 2 of each
Robin, Dunnock, Blackbird and Starling one of each.
Wood Pigeon - 2
C Dove - 4
Spugs - c20
Common Gull - 6
Jackdaw

March 31st:

Coal Tit
LT Tit - 2
Greenfinch - 3

April 3rd:

Coal Tit
Chaffs - 3
Greenfinch - 2
Blackbird - 1 pr
W Pigeon & C Doves
Starling - 8
Spugs - 12

April 5/6th: Coal Tit

The Wood Pigeon have a nest in the conifer, a Blue Tit was checking out a box in back garden which has never had a nest in it since I got it 15 years ago. The new box I had put up last year I can't see unless i'm out cos it's above the kitchen window. expecting the Blackbirds to soon be nesting.

Toodle loo

John

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:08 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

April 7th:

female Blackbird on nest in the Holly in front garden using same nest as last year.

April 9th:

two pair of Blackbird in back garden, one male seen with worms in beak.

April 12th:

Saw the ISS go over at 22:16 :D and got two poor pics (this time), usually I forget to take it out with me. It had earlier come over at 20:41 but I stayed inside but two mates spotted it from two separate locations to me with one getting some pics.

April 13th:

Spotted 3 juvs in the holly nest of the Blackbird's. Also had a pair of Great & Blue Tit displaying past few days.

April 14th:

Pair of Blackbird + 3 juvs seen (taken lots of pics of them while sat a few yards away) in the privet hedge in back garden, I put out some mealworms soaked in water, both adults took them to nest.

Also pair of Great & Blue Tit getting the black sunflower seeds and nuts. Both were taking turns in having a bath in a plastic container. One Goldfinch, 4 C Dove, 2 W Pigeon, 2 Feral Pigeon one with two black bars on wing, 6 Starling, pair Dunnock, Greenfinch, 2 Chaffs, half a dozen Spugs, Crow, Rook and 2 Jackdaw.

Butterflies just started coming with a male Brimstone kicking it off.

Well pleased. Hoping to get out to some old sites soon as well as my local patch not pub :lol:

Cheers

John :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:11 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Pair each of Blue and Great Tit etc

The 3 juvs Blackbird are still in both Holly and Privet nests. Another nest found in privet but too high to check no sign of anything.

The nest in Privet has now only one juv in and not seen other two.

20.04:

Privet nest empty and seen one juv next to the fence and old sycamore stump but no signs of other two. Not sure if any juvs still in the holly nest. Had a single Black-head Gull over.

Regards

JTG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:51 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

21/04:

The last juv Blackbird must have left the nest today, spotted one near the stump of the sycamore being fed by both parents.

22/04:

Female Blackbird building a nest in front garden privet. While having a cuppa in back garden spotted the pair of W Pigeon displaying and mating on next doors apex of roof.

23/04:

Either the female that was building a nest in the front garden privet has stopped and is building one in next doors tree or its another female, its all go here. Thankfully I can see the nest so heres hoping. early evening while I was in deckchair noticed two male Blackbirds which seemed to be displaying! :?

24/04:

Spotted two of the back garden privet Blackbird juvs in the holly with dad feeding them. Then spotted two female Blackbird that also looked to be displaying :? then one picked up some twigs mmmmmm strange unless they are first year birds and are a little confused like me.

The nest in the front garden holly isnt being used now so don't know what happened to the juvs. Very much doubt it was the cat the birds weren't big enough to leave the nest plus the cat couldn't have got to them without getting scratched to hell.

Regards

JTG :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:51 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

25/04:

On the nut feeder was a juv Great Tit being fed by an adult, sadly they soon went. A female Blackbird has built a nest in the lilac close to the rear of kitchen window, I'm losing count of the number of Blackbird nests, I think its six this year and it's only April.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:41 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Howdy,

Time for a catch-up after eight days at Lake Vyrnwy (will do report on non Lincs soon) still recovering.

April 28th: pair of Blackbird with two juvs.

May 2nd: female nest building in front garden privet.
May 25th: pair of Greenfinch on black sunflower seed feeder feeding two juvs.

No idea what happened to the Blackbird juvs. The niger feeder has stood half full past few months no idea why the Goldfinch don't come anymore! Very few birds come and those that do like the Wood Pigs are a nuisance, one got on a feeder in front garden yesterday and nearly broke plus their incessant cooing is damn annoying, I wish they would sling their hook! The Collared Doves are almost as bad, where are the pair of sprawk when I need them :lol:

Virtually no Spuggys just the odd one or two in front garden. Had half a dozen Starlings with their brood other day. Got one pair of Blackbird feeding juvs somewhere probably in the triangle garden as I call it. See the corvids going back and forth probably from the rookery at YWT, plus a few Jackdaws.

Think I got spoiled while I was away, seeing Nuthatches every day and one was within a few feet, plus the Chaffinches eating out my hand, less of that I will do report later. :D

Hope to have more to report next time.

Cheers

John

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:33 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

May 27th:

Robin - 1 juv
Greenfinch - 2
Great Tit
House Spugs - 3 juvs
Starling - 5 juvs

June 3rd:

Great & Blue Tit
Blackbird
Chaffinch

June 5th:

Swift - 3

June 7th:

Black-head Gull
Common Gull - 4
Swift

June 16th:

Osprey seen at 11:00 for about five minutes, done a report on the Sightings page, had excellent views of it close up compared to the ones I had at Glaslyn a few year back. This must be best garden sighting this year! :D

The usual gang are in the garden but only small amounts of them.

Kind regards

John

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:16 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Howdy,

Time to catch up after a birthday break in Wales.

June 21st: Blue Tit - 3 juv on nut feeder.

July 4th: LT Tit - 6 flitting between nut feeder and the trees.
July 9th: LT Tit - 2, Great Tit - 1 juv, Blue Tit - 2 juv.
July 11th: Blackbird - pair adult + 3 juvs.
July 16th: Dunnock - 1 juv, Blackbird - 1 female & 1 juv.
July 17th: found the juv Blackbird dead in the water butt, it only had 3" of water, hadn't looked for a few days, I felt awful, I'd only seen the bird previous night perched on the wheelbarrow :( :( I've now put the lid on the butt, just in case.

Today filled the feeders up in the hope I get a few more birds returning.

A week ago found a load of Collared Dove feathers so the female Sprawk must have been.

Getting the Jackdaws over every day calling out. Tonight spotted about 6 Swift up. Any day now the flying ants will be up, it's usually around my mums birthday (16th).

Kind regards

John :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Good news and bad news, first the bad on July 29th found a juv Dunnock on path with what looked to be broken neck it was below the dining room window! August 5th found another dead Dunnock next to garage bit shocked to be honest, it had no signs of how it died, it was on the wood chippings next to a water tub, which at best is only 2" deep and more usual 1" it was laid at side of it! In case it was the water I've washed out all the tubs and fill them every day, the birds don't go on the feeders so not sure, the Welton and Lincoln lads will blame the cats as I've had some stick in the past about my love of cats, but as I've not seen I cannot say.

Thankfully got some good news! :)

July 18th: got a life tick with a juv Coal Tit seen on the nut feeder. Also had juv Great & Blue Tit, juv Robin and juv Dunnock.

July 20th: Swift - 3, Jackdaw - 2.
July 21st: Goldfinch - 2, Greenfinch - 2, Blue Tit - 1 adult + 5 juvs, Coal Tit - 1 adult + 1 juv, Great Tit - 1 adult + 1 juv, Rook - 1, Blackbird - 1, Dunnock - 1.

July 23rd: Dunnock - 2, Blue Tit - 2.
July 25th: H Spug - 4 adult + 1 juv, Chaffinch - 2, Blue Tit - 2, Greenfinch - 3, C Dove - 2.

July 26th: Coal Tit - 1 adult + 1juv, Blue Tit - 2juv, Dunnock - 3, Greenfinch - 4.
July 27th: Coal Tit - 1 adult, Dunnock - 1, Blue Tit - 1juv.

July 31st: LT Tit - 2, Great Tit - 1juv, Blue Tit - 1juv, Greenfinch - 1, H Spug - 2, Blackbird - 1.

Aug 1st: Coal Tit - 1, Blue Tit - 2juv, Greenfinch - 2, Blackbird - 1pr + 1 juv, Swift - 2, LT Tit - 2, C Dove - 2.
Aug 2nd: LT Tit - 2.

Aug 6th: LT Tit - 3, Coal Tit - 1, Blue Tit - 2, Great Tit - 1, Greenfinch - 3, Dunnock - 1, Robin - 1.
Aug 8th: Swift - 20.
Aug 9th: Swift - 33 (did report on sightings section), Common Gull - 3, Crow - 2, Rook - 2, plus usual.

Well chuffed!!!

Cheers

John

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:38 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Aug 10th:

LT Tit - 2 (pic)
Blue Tit - 4 (pics)
Coal Tit - 1
H Spug - 2
C Dove - 2
W Pigs - 2

Aug 11th:

c200 Gulls (Common & Black-head)
LT Tit - 4
Coalie - 1
Blue Tit - 4
Great Tit - 1
Greenfinch - 1
C Dove - 2
W Pigs - 2

Aug 12th:

Coalie - 1
Great Tit - 2
LT Tit - 2
Blue Tit - 2
Greenfinch - 2
Spugs - 2
C Dove - 2
Dunnock - 3
Blackbird - 2f
W Pigs - 2.

Aug 13th:

LT Tit - 2
Found another dead Dunnock that's the 3rd in three weeks, this one was face down and spreadeagled, very odd!

Aug 16th:

LT Tit - 4
Blue Tit - 4
Coal Tit - 1
Great Tit - 2
Spugs - 4
Robin - 1
Dunnock - 2
Blackbird - 2m
Starling - 3 juvs

Cheers

John

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:49 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Aug 18th spotted a juvenile Robin under the peanut feeder.

Aug 19th

had 7 juv Blue Tit hammering away at the peanuts, they much prefer those I buy at Home Bargains think they are £2.99 for one and a half kilos. (The LT Tits love them as well) :). C Dove - 4 adult + 2 juv, Great Tit - 2, Greenfinch - 1 adult + 2 juvs, Spugs - 3, W Pigs - 2, Robin - 1.[/b]

Aug 21st:

Crow - 1, Coal Tit - 1, Blue Tit - 4, Spugs - 4, Great Tit - 2, Greenfinch - 4, C Dove - 4, W Pigs - 6, Dunnock - 1, Chaffinch - 1.

Aug 22nd:

Common Gull - 2, Coal Tit - 1, Great Tit - 2, Robin - 1, C Dove - 2.

*Aug 24th:

This day got up early for a change and for a while was annoyed I'd woken too early but as it turned out it was a blessing in disguise because as I was getting breakfast ready spotted a bird had landed at the top of the conifer, got the bins and blow me it was a Meadow Pipit :shock: no time to fetch camera it only stayed a minute, must have been getting its wind back and flew off towards the fields, that is a new tick and this made my day in fact my week!
Also had the Goldfinch return be it 3 but better than nowt, Coal Tit - 1, Dunnock - 1, Blue Tit - 1 adult + 3juv, Spugs - 6, Greenfinch - 4.

[b]*Aug 25th: CORRECTION TO THE WILLOW WARBLER, ON 10/12/15 HAD ITS ID CHECKED by an expert and they say its CHIFFY.
[/b]
If yesterday wasn't good enough then today only got better, I was watching 3 juv Blue Tit having a bath together in a small plastic tub and a newcomer arrived and landed on the dragonfly solar light, mmmm what was that, it went on the ribes shrub and disaapeared but popped up again and landed on the magnolia finally it came back and landed on the cotoneaster so snapped it and on checking me guide and photo it was a lovely Willow Warbler a new tick in garden! WOWEE this was far better than yesterday because it was only four feet from the lounge window :D :D :D whereas the Mipit was 70'. I was buzzing all day and told three pals!

The LT Tit came back thankfully and brought a pal so had three knocking the peanuts back :lol: they were taking it in turns with the bossy Blue Tits - 6, Coal Tit - 2, Grennfinch - 4, Great Tit - 2, C Dove - 4, Robin - 1, Dunnock - 1, Blackbird - 2, Spugs - 2, Goldfinch - 2 adult + 1juv.

Seeing the WW and the MP has certainly made me feel better than all the meds I take, may long it continue. Why on earth do I need to go birding away from the garden beats me.

YABBA DABBA DOO :D :D :D

Kind regards

John :D :D :D :D

PS: I SENT A PHOTO OF THE WILLOW WARBLER TO AN EXPERT and THEY SAY FROM THE MARKINGS ITS A CHIFFY, STILL A GARDEN TICK!

Last edited by John T Goy on Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:33 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Aug 26th:

Rook - 2, Coalie - 1, Bluey - 7, Goldfinch - 1juv, Greenfinch - 2, LT Tit - 3 pics, Spugs - 2, Great Tit - 1, Blackbird - 1.

Aug 27th:

Greenfinch - 4 + 2juv, Spugs - 6, Coalie - 1, Chaff - 2, C Dove - 1 + 1juv.

Aug 28th:

LT Tit - 1, Bluey - 4, Spug - 4, Jackdaw - 1, Greenfinch - 6. At 20:20 30 geese flew N/W sounded like Greylag.

Aug 29th:

*While getting breakie ready about 10:40 spotted on back garden path what turned out to be a female Redstart it was only on view for thirty seconds if that, viewed it with glasses and then bins, hadn't time to fetch camera sadly. That's not only a garden tick but a life tick!

Can't believe my luck these past few days three garden ticks!

Aug 30th:

Had 9 LT Tits with five on one nut feeder and four on the other, nice the usual 2/3 brought their mates. Late afternoon noticed loads of gulls flying past but staying very close there must have been upwards of 200 overhead I can only assume they were getting the flying ants which are late this year. The Blue Tit, Greenfinch and Spugs each had 6.

Whatever visits that's okay. Got three new feeders at weekend to help out.

Regards

John :D :D :D

PS: spotted another bird atop the conifer yesterday morning at breakie, looked at it with bins and scope but still couldn't make it out, it was Great Tit size with a light-coloured chest and head with no barring or streaks and a dark or black wing bar and also looked to be a juvenile.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:08 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Apologies to regular readers of "My Garden" but it was and still is the usual problem plus a break in Somerset, but I'm back to update everyone on the antics.

There has been no shortage of action with the Tit families etc. Coal Tit has been here almost every day!

Sept 4th:

Coal Tit
LT Tit - 10 on fat slab and Holly
Greenfinch - 7
Goldfinch - 3
Blue Tit - 3
Great Tit - 1
C Dove - 4
Spugs - 6

Sept 5th:

Goldfinch - 4 + 2juv
C Dove - 1 + 4juv
Dunnock
Blue Tit - 5

Sept 8th:

LT Tit - 9
Coal Tit
Great Tit
Bluey - 4
C Dove - 8
Greenfinch - 5
Blackbird
Chaffinch - 2

Sept 11th:

Dunnock
Coal Tit
Blue Tit - 6
Great Tit
Chaffinch - 2
C Dove - 6
Wood Pigeon
Blackbird - 2
Spugs - 6
Crow - 2
Jackdaw - 4
Starling - 6
Greenfinch - 8
Goldfinch - 6

Sept 15th:

Sprawk over

Sept 16th:

Blue Tit - 9
Rook
Robin
Black-head Gull
C Dove - 7

Sept 22nd:

Greenfinch - 10
C Dove - 8
plus the gang.

Sept 23rd:

Starling - 22
Coal Tit
Great Tit - 2
Bluey - 5
Jackdaw - 2
Greenfinch - 5
Goldfinch - 3
Chaffs - 2
W Pigeon
C Dove - 6

Oct 9th:

Coal, Blue and Great Tits

Last few days laid up so no idea what's been in :(

Oct 19th:

Spotted a Song Thrush in the heavily laden Rowan with a pair of Blackbirds, its months since I saw a ST, well chuffed! Also a Magpie, Blue Tit and the spugs. Hoping to start viewing the activity very soon!

That's brought everything up to date, phew!

Toodle pip

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next