The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:12 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Garden
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:14 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

July 24th:

Flying ants up and the feeding frenzy began at 1700 and finished at 1900!

A couple of hundred birds at least most of which were Black-headed Gulls, also Common Gull, House Martin and Swifts, pair of Sprawk of which the male came low over garden, a Buzzard joined in the fun, I watched it for a good ten minutes through the bins really enjoyed it, Crows and Rooks, Starlings and any other bird that could twist and turn. What a fantastic sight! 8)

Most of the usual garden gang were keeping in the shade as was I until late afternoon.

Nice to know I was spot-on with the Osprey on Monday 8) .

Regards

John

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:45 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

It's been a decent week for the juvs as follows:

July 31st: Dunnock - 1, Goldie - 1, Blackies - 5.

Aug 2nd: Greenfinch - 2, H Spug - 1, Blue Tit - 4, Blackies - 5, Starling - 7, Chaffinch - 1.

Adults also seen of all the above except Chaffinch, Dunnock and Blackies.

Regards

John :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:28 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Aug 3rd: Chaffinch - 1 juv, H Spug - 1 juv.
Aug 5th: Dunnock - 1, Chaffinch - 1, Goldfinch - 2 adult + 2 juv.
Aug 7th: Dunnock - 1 juv, Great Tit - 1 juv, Goldfinch - 2 juvs, Song Thrush - 1 juv.
Aug 9th: Blue Tit - 2 adult + 2 juvs, Great Tit - 1 adult + 3 juvs, Swifts and House Martin etc.
Aug 11th: Greenfinch - 2 juvs.
Aug 12th: Dunnock - 1 adult with bald head :shock: , Blue Tit - 2 juvs, H Spugs - 32, C Dove - 5, Chaffinch - 1 juv, Magpie - 1.
Aug 13th: C Dove - 4, H Spug - 1 juv, Chaffinch - 1, Greenfinch - 2 juv, Goldie - 2 + 1 juv, Blackie - 2 juv, Starling - 4 juv.

Pair of Wood Pigeon building nest in tree opposite my house.

Regards

John

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:50 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Aug 17th:

While looking out lounge window at rear the Coalie put in an appearance, first time I've seen one for months, good to have it back, it was feeding on the sunflower hearts. Other sightings: Great Tit - 1 adult + 1 juv, Blue Tit - 4 juvs, Goldfinch - 5 adult + 6 juvs, Blackie - one pair + 2 juvs, C Dove - 6, Starling - 2 juvs, H Spug - 12, Dunnock - 1 adult + 1 juv and two W Pigeon.

Aug 20th:

Usual gang. Highlight of day female Sprawk landed in rowan tree facing me about 40' feet away. Fetched camera but alas not specs, took two pics then ran out of memory :evil: Thankfully one was cracker! :D . I think it must have made a pass a few mins earlier cos all the birds scarpered quick sharp! An hour or so later saw it or another one flying over the road opposite but it was too far away to sex.

I had intended going to shop but had an headache so stayed in. Lots of activity in back garden = watched 2 adult and 5 juv Blue Tits bathing in different areas, then an adult plus one juv Great Tit had a go, had six Goldfinch juvs and three adults on the niger feeder, the Doves were vacumning the spare seed up :) always seems to be lots going on whether I'm in the garden or sat inside.

Latest arrivals are the pair of Hedgehogs I spotted in driveway in the early hours of the 17th.

Kind regards

John :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:24 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Aug 25th:

Spotted a single Spuggy being fed by nibbits of nut by mum while perched on the old buddleah.

Since then I've been a bit lax and not filled the sunflower seed feeders up, but done the nuts and niger. Most days been getting five juv Goldfinch with a couple of adults, the C Dove are still here plus a few spuggy. Must get me finger out and get em filled. I fill the water tubs every day thankfully.

Toodle loo

John

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:50 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Not much been happening of late, probably because I've been spending most days in garden and the birds are keeping out of sight :roll:

Because I've had some turf laid the niger feeder has had to be moved and the Goldies are upset I think, oh dear, I'm sure they will forgive me :)

The juv Dunnock and Blackie both who are a bit thin on top seem to spend their time in the front garden, could it be they are self concious of not having a full head of hair like some humans :lol:

Other than a couple of C Doves and a single male Blackie that's about it in back garden :shock:

Just heard the rain starting yippee, it'll do the turf good plus I didn't water it yesterday due to upset belly :x

Well that's about it for now.

Toodleloo

John

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:00 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Sept 13th: Spotted a single Blue and Great Tit in the lilac, plus a juv Greenfinch on the niger feeder.

Sept 16th: A welcome return of the Coalie plus three juv Greenfinch on the washing line.

Sept 18th: Lots of action in the lilac next to kitchen window this morning while I was washing the pots. A male Blackie had a drink then flew to the lilac, next thing thing there was a fight of some sort! A Sprawk had been there and tried collaring the Blackie, he put up a good fight and escaped. The Sprawk flew to the water tub and must have been thinking what had gone wrong #-o . I went for camera but couldn't get the darn thing on, it didn't help I was pressing wrong button :oops: . I peeped out window and it was still there, so focused the cam' only for it to fly off before I snapped it :x . From the size etc I am almost sure it was a juv male.
Only a few moments before, I'd spotted a very young Greenfinch under the lilac so it had a very lucky escape thankfully :D

Down the back garden spotted some Hedgehog poo.

All the now

Regards

John

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:11 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Sept 20th: Greenfinch - 2f, C Dove - 3, Blue Tit - 3, Grt Tit - 1 and Jackdaw - 1.

Sept 21st: Stayed in all day so watched the gang which included: Coalie - 1, Blue Tit - 3, Grt Tit - 3, Dunnock - 1, Chaffinch - 2, Robin - 1, W Pigeon - 1, Blackie - 1, C Dove - 3, Greenfinch - 2, Goldie - 1 and two Spugs.

Sept 23rd & 24th: Coalie - 1 ( took pics through window during the heavy rain, not bad considering).

Sept 28th & Oct 6th: Coalie - 1.

Oct 6th: While I was cleaning inside of car I heard the sound of Pinkies going over, but by the time I'd got out the back seats and got bins they had gone :x I may nip down to BB tomorrow and see if they are in the usual place along with the greylags.

Other than calling at Fairburn Ings on the 6th Sept on way home from Leeds and parking up for my lunch and spotting an Hobby, I've not been out watching since 23rd Aug. I have had too much fun attending to my garden :D . Hoping to go out somewhere today and see what's about.

Kind regards

John

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:58 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I've typed out latest sightings once and all of a sudden the website disappeared and each time I kept trying to get back on a message came up saying I AM FORBIDDEN to access the site, VERY STRANGE. I contact one of my mates who is a member asking him to see if I am, at the moment I'm not.

Oct 9th & 11th: Sprawk overhead soaring towards Scotter Road.
Oct 14th: Peregrine over house going west, it was fairly low, wasn't quick enough to capture a snap.

Last few days llot more Spugs arriving. The cherry trees are loaded with berries as were the ones we saw yesterday in the Ancholme valley.

Regards

John

PS: fingers x-crossed this submits, if not am not doing it a third time

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:26 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Oct 14th: Had an enjoyable but wet half day out along the Ancholme Valley south of Brigg.

Oct 16th: Two visits in the back garden by the female Sprawk a few hours apart, left empty both times.

Last two days had the Coalie visiting front garden alongside the Great Tit. Had a good number of spugs in front garden knocking seven bells out the fat balls :lol:

For some reason the local Starlings have left the wild cherry tree alone in back garden leaving it heaving with berries, only got the odd Blackie picking them. The only reason I can come up with is, I had another larger tree at the end of the garden but it had to be felled ( not my fault) and was more in your face than the one left and this one was always "attacked" first. So this Winter could see me getting a new garden tick in the shape of Waxwings. There are other shrubs with berries on including the Callicarpa, Cotoneaster, Hypericum and Holly. Let's hope I've not spoken too soon!

Kind regards

John

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:55 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Oct 19th: Coalie & Grt Tit on the black sunflower seeds with Greenfinch joining in later, Dunnock looking for scraps under the ? tree in front garden and the Spugs still going hell for leather on the fat ball feeders :lol: . The Blackie is enjoying the cherries and the Goldies the nyger, the W Pigs and C Doves are sweeping up owt that is left, thankfully.

Oct 20th - 22nd: Most of the above here.

Oct 23rd: Blackies - 7m 1f attacking the cherry tree all day, thankfully they must be going somewhere else as well cos the tree is still heaving [-o<

Oct 24th: Greenfinch - 10 visited for a short while mostly spending time perched at top of the conifer in back garden. The Coalie, Great and Blue Tits were here all day.

Oct 25th: Pink-Feet - skein of c40 seen/heard at 14.15 going south-east ( the cat alerted me to look up!) Cats can be very clever whatever some members may think of them [-X :lol:
Also spotted the Sprawk circling overhead and thirty or so minutes later one soared through the garden but left empty-clawed :wink: . Earlier I'd been filling the feeders so the one overhead must have had it's bionic eye on me , those raptors don't miss nowt =D> . Had the usual crew all day, was a joy to watch!!

Kind regards to one and all,

Max

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:21 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Time to get up to date, I didn't want to update it last week with the saw news about Alex!

Oct 28th - 29th: Single of Blue, Great and Coalie Tit, single Mallard over east, 13 Blackies, Magpie - 1, Chaffinch - 1, Crow - 6, Jackdaw - 3, Greenfinch, Common Gull, C Dove - 7, W Pig -2, lots of Spugs, Dunnock, Goldies.

Oct 31st: Cormorant - 1 west (new tick), Common Gull - 25 above house, Starling - 12 west, Magpie - 2, plus usual small birds.

Nov 8th: Coalie in front garden, got a couple of pics.

Nov 9th: Had a large browny type bird, defo not a raptor, saw it twice, once coming towards me and later going away as if to roost N/E, after much consideration in guide book believe it to be a LBB Gull 1st year but I daresay I could be wrong, not to great at yearing birds.

Nov 12th: Despite rain no shortage of birds to see. Coal Tit - 1, Great Tit - 2, Blue Tit - 3, Chaffinch - 3, Goldies - 3, Greenfinch - 3, Blackies - 12, Starling - 1, C Dove - 3, Common Gull around the house, Spugs - c30.

Since introducing the more fat ball feeders earlier this year, the Spugs hardly ever touch the nuts, obviously the fat content is higher. Hardly any of the birds go for the nuts now except maybe the Coalie. Introduced sunflower hearts this week as well as black sunflower seeds. Both myself and a pal find it almost impossible to keep up with filling the fat ball feeders, greedy so and so's :lol:

Spotted a Chaffinch with a gammy leg yesterday, but it just carried on feeding as if nowt was up. Now if that had been some humans they would have been pestering the A&E :wink: just goes to show the birds are tough nuts excuse the pun!

That's it folks all up to date.

Cheers

Max :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:02 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Nov 14th: Coalie and Robin, not seen latter for ages. Plus usual crew.
Nov 15th: Sprawk high over.
Nov 18th: Only second time I've spotted a Cormorant over it was amongst a load of gulls going north-east to roost. Had Blue, Grt and Coalie hammering away at the sunflower seeds.
Nov 19th: Goldie totalled nine, most I've seen since for months.
Nov 23rd: Was watching from kitchen window at the small birds on conifer when the female Sprawk landed next to it on one of the wild cherry trees, oddly three of the Chaffinch didn't move and they were right next to it but on the conifer. Went for camera but forgot me glasses :? managed to take a average shot then fetched specs and it had gone :( .
Nov 24th: Watching the Blackies trying to get the awkward placed berries, some managed it others didn't. Counted nine of them today with a mixture of male, female and first winter birds. Also saw three Chaffinch & Greenfinch & Goldie, 30+ Spugs, Common Gull, Great and Blue Tits.

Still plenty of berries for any Waxwings, Redwings or Fieldfares in area, each would be a new tick here [-o< .

Cheers

Max

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:44 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Hi..did you ever get gsw to visit..I'm trying from today to attract them..not wearing a woodpecker dress but hanging suet out..I read that's what they go for.
All the best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:05 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Andy,

Sent you a PM.

Max

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 17  Next