The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:26 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Garden
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:22 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

June 28th:

While sat reading the Asda magazine in the garden hoping for some inspiration :lol: and periodicaly checking the sky, spotted a very high raptor only just below the clouds and the resident Sprawk somewhat lower, rushed in for the bins but both had gone when I got back. The high one seen through my sunglasses was like a pin prick in the sky, so it's anybodies guess what it was. Have had Hobby in the past plus Buzz.

Also saw two Swift and two House Martin going back and forth plus all the garden birds sheltering under or in the trees. The male Blackbird was spreadeagled on the grass taking time out from feeding the two juvs before demolishing a large piece of corned beef I'd put on the ground feeder.

John

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:54 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

July 25th:

While cutting the hedge [ been told I shouldn't do it while I have a muscle spasm but what the heck ] spotted a nest with four eggs in, not sure what they are but looked the size of a Blackbird's.

Had good numbers of juvenile Goldfinch this year, must have had upwards of twenty visiting. With six seen on the nyger feeder yesterday along with eight adults. Also seen over the past two weeks a juv Dunnock, four juv Blackbirds, juv Robin, three juv Blue Tits feeding on the black sunflower seeds, a couple of juv Greenfinch and House Sparrows, Juv Wood Pigeon and Collared Doves. Oddly not seen any Starlings for weeks.

Regards

John

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:27 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

July 31st:

Spotted a dead juv Goldfinch at bottom end. Had a couple of juv Greenfinch last couple of days. This afternoon spotted three juv LT Tit's on the nut feeder along with a juv Blue Tit who didn't seem keen on the overcrowding. A roosting basket which I now fill with black sunflower seeds is attended every day by at least two juv Blue Tits, also saw a juv Great Tit visit once. The juv Robin has almost got a red breast now. Up above seen eight House Martins hawking for insects. It's about now that the flying ants appear. Saw four of the juv Blackbirds next door, they are all doing well and feeding themselves, and visit mine most days.

Kind regards

Max

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:25 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

August 26th:

Had a Coal Tit, a few Greenfinch, six House Sparrows in the front garden and virtually nothing in the back garden. The Droll Yankee Nyger feeder has hardly been touched all week. Three juv Blue Tits are taking black sunflower seeds from the rooster basket. Nine Collared Doves come most days but it's certainly quiet.

Max

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:56 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Aug 31st:

This morning noticed the nyger feeder occupied for the first time in a fortnight with four adult and three juv Goldfinch on it. The front garden is as ever busy with the nut feeder surrounded by House Sparrows and the seed feeders being attended to by Blue Tits, Greenfinches, Great Tit and the H Sparrows with Dunnock and Collared Doves on the ground.

Max

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:18 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

House Sparrow squadrons eating me out of house and home at present! Feeders needing replenishment twice a day!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:51 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Sept 5th:

Late getting this done been ill again.

Counted 29 Goldfinch including 18 juvs and one young un being fed by adult bird either on or below the nyger feeder. I have had more on a few occasions but not of late.

Sept 8th:

One juv House Sparrow being fed by mum on the peanut feeder.

Sept 12th:

Coal Tit feeding on stripey medium sunflower seeds, taking it in turn with two Blue Tits, did manage to get a short video of the Blueys. Seen more birds visiting garden than of late. The Chaffinch and Greenfinch have returned today.

Regards

Max

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:04 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Sept 25th:

Had a Coal Tit again in the lilac. Also had a couple of Greenfinch getting striped sunflowers, a single young Chaffinch looking a bit lost. About 18 House Sparrows busy on the nut feeders and sunflower seeds.

On Thursday had an odd looking pigeon in back garden it didn't totally match anything in the black book, got a few snaps. It looked to be too large to be feral, so assumed it was a juv Wood, but it was totally grey except the end of it's tail was a charcoal color.

Max

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:49 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Greater Spotted Woodpecker returned again for a peanut feast!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:00 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Oct 1st:

During the heavy rain I was sat in the lounge watching the sparrows fighting over the peanuts when a bird landed on the window sill it was a new garden tick a Willow Tit! It was looking in as if to say it's a bit wet out here any chance of coming in :lol: It then went to the upper window and flew off. I think it must have been blown off course, thankfully.

Kind regards

John

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:17 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Oct 18th:

While stood at back door I noticed a bird fly past, I looked up and a female Sprawk swept past from the back garden with a small bird in it's talons! Although I have seen a Sprawk in the garden once before [ I was actually within two feet of it ] I've never seen it with prey. I went down the drive towards the street hoping it had landed in one of the trees but it hadn't.

I was only in the back garden a few minutes before it appeared filling the water tubs so I daresay it could have been perched in one of the trees, and no birds were on any of the feeders. The estate does have a pair of Sprawk and I sometimes see one or other patrolling the skies or passing over the garden.

Although I can't match the amount of House Sparrows that Steve R gets, of late I have counted 30+ in the front garden mainly on the nut feeders with another dozen or so in the rear garden on all the feeders including the Nyger. Some of the spugs when visiting two of the roosting baskets filled with sunflower seeds are sitting inside eating the seeds which is funny to watch.

Kind regards

John

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:27 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Nov 3rd:

I'd just gone in the kitchen and looked out the window and spotted a Sprawk sat next to nyger feeder, I rushed to get camera but of course by time I'd got back it had gone! :( At the time I thought it had made a swoop for a bird and had missed. The next day when I went to fill the feeders there was a large amount of light-coloured feathers close to the bird table, it was the remnants of a Collared Dove [ there is always at least seven in the garden sometimes as many as eleven ] so it hadn't missed after all.

My mate says that the Sprawk will have put my garden on his hit list every day. One day I'm hoping to capture a photo.

Had some excellent sightings in the garden this year as you all know including a pair of Lesser Redpoll, Woodcock, Blackcap, Bullfinch etc with Buzzard, Kestrel, pair of Sprawk over the garden to name a few.

I have 14 feeders and two bird tables with loads of water vessels and just in case any Waxwings are reading this still got loads of berries :lol:

Kind regards

John

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:17 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Nov 18th:

While getting a late breakfast ready I looked out the kitchen window and spotted a Sprawk sat in a tree about thirty feet away if that, went for camcorder rather than camera and thankfully it was still there when I got back in kitchen. I ran off three shots but the other trees were obstrucing my view but at least they are record shots. It was also perched with it's back to me on a cloudy day. From the size of it most likely a female.

Later I was looking out lounge window and spotted a dead Spuggy below it, maybe it had been scared by the raptor, taken flight and hit the window, poor thing.

Filled all the feeders and cleaned one bird table and filled it up with seeds and a big fat ball later.

Cheers

John

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:05 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Nov 25th: Late morning/mid afternoon

I'm glad I decided to have cereal for breakfast and while doing so I stood at the window watching the birds. Noticed a dark figure close to the weigela which is closer to the end of garden than me, got bins and saw it was the female Sprawk plucking something. Went for camcorder and managed three shots before the cat appeared then the bird flew off with it's prey. I was cussing the cat lol.

Mid-afternoon I was in the kitchen when I spotted the Sprawk on the fence at end of garden plucking something, got the bins and it looked like a Sparrow. Had the camcorder handy and ran off a few pics and then a two minute video, it would have been longer but the CAT appeared again, this time I opened back door and quietly shouted it, as it came running up path I shut door and carried on filming then it appeared again and the Sprawk flew off.

After running the video I could clearly see the long eyestripe and the bird also had white flecks on it's wings/back so the female has struck again.

Looks as if the bird will now be coming on a regular basis, don't know if that is a good thing or not, certainly the small birds won't think so!

Filled all feeders etc yesterday. Noticed the House Sparrow's are now 40+ rather than the 30 of a week ago. More Greenfinches and Chaffinches are coming as well as Magpie's. Still got fair amount of berries left.

Kind regards

John

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:43 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Dec 3rd:

With upwards of 18" of snow in both back and front gardens and similar sized icicles hanging from the gutters it's not really safe for me to venture out BUT the feeders needed filling so did it on Thursday afternoon. Managed to fill 15 of them and brought two in because they were snowed up to dry out. Put out nyger and black sunflower seeds and also scattered loads on the snow and next to the fence which hadnt much snow due to the Ivy overgrowing. Also been putting out a little bread soaked in milk, broken biscuits, apples cut into pieces and any scraps I've had left over from my meals [ not cooked though ].

Yesterday spotted nine Chaffinch, seven goldfinch, three Greenfinch, nine Collared dove, two Wood Pigeon [ had five other day], one Wren, two Dunnock, 30+ House Sparrow [ had forty-one on Monday], a dozen Starlings, one Magpie, two Jackdaw and six Common Gull over. So the numbers are down on a usual dry day in December, also not seen the Sprawk since last week.

I keep checking the Chaffinch flock for a Brambling but no luck as yet. Also hoping the Redpoll and Blackcap pay a visit this winter :lol:

Cheers

John

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next