The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:39 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Garden
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:37 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Female Sparrowhawk visited twice today - one was a virtual fly-by, and on visit 2, she took a Starling as food.

Her yellow eyes looked stunning in the sunlight when I viewed through my scope!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:32 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Not seen the Redpoll for three days. It was here six weeks so certainly not complaining. Wonder what the next surprise bird will be.

A week ago made a ground feeder table and it took five days before the birds began to use it. On Saturday made a bog standard one and they started using it same day. Both had similar food on except the older one had peanuts on as well as Niger and Sunflower seed.

Regards

John

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:35 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

The Redpoll returned this morning, wonder what it had been up to :lol:

John

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:44 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

March 16th:

Redpoll been here past few days but not seen it today. Spotted one dead Greenfinch on the old bird table, one at the end of garden and also a dead Wood Mouse under the feeders. Not sure what killed but the local moggies I expect. That's the third Greenfinch this year. Yesterday noticed a green frog in front garden and there again today, pity I haven't a pond, there are dishes of water for the birds etc.

John

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:38 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Latest:

On Wednesday found another dead Wood Mouse next to back gate!

Seen Redpoll last few days on the niger feeder.

Female Blackie nest building in Ivy close to rear window of lounge. While in armchair heard a thud against back window and the shape left on it and surprised to see a yellow balloon [there wasn't anyone in it ] in one of the trees, which must have made the birds jump.

Thursday noticed a Chaffinch feeding on it's own under where the niger feeder is, it looked ill, it looked to be inflated and kept shutting it's eyes but kept feeding. When another Chaffinch came close it had a go at the ill one, I felt sorry for it, I know what it's like to be bullied. It was back today [20th] so lets hope it was having an off-day.

John

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:31 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Woodcock this morning [see report on Sightings section ] was a massive surprise!

No sign of Redpoll today but it has been here all week. Plenty for it to eat.

Kind regards

John

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Superb garden Bird John :wink:

Take nothing but photos - Leave nothing but footprints - Waste nothing but time

My website: http://www.birdmad.com
https://www.facebook.com/dean.eades1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/birdmad/
http://www.lcegroup.co.uk
http://www.Canon.co.uk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:09 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

March 26th:

Thanks Dean! It sure is considering I don't live in the country but on the edge of town. Not sure if that has anything to do with it popping in. I'm sure those with technical knowledge will know.

Today had another lesser surprise than yesterday with 2 Redpoll on the niger feeder. Could it be the same one that disappeared some weeks back, it's a male so it could be.

For the first time today I started filling the feeders with dried mealworms, also put a few on the bird tables. I've been told not to put them all on the tables or else the Starlings will have the lot in quick time. Actually the mealworms smell okay, not risking eating any though :lol:

I am seeing far better birds in my garden than some of the places I have recently visited.

John

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:16 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

April 10th:

About ten o'clock yesterday morning my gardener knocked on window for me to go out, I did and he pointed above, and asked what the birds were, I rushed in for the bins and looked. It was a Sprawk with a Buzzard [ life tick over garden :D ] flying high over the house, then another Sprawk came and the Buzzard drifted away. Never seen the pair together, it's always been one of them. Watched them for five minutes. Seeing these was far better than being at MSQ yesterday.

In the last ten years my garden and above it list is gradually getting impressive!

The Redpoll haven't been since for at least ten days. After showing a pal some of my photos of the Redpoll all be it on the cameras screen they think my two may be Mealy's. Will know for sure after I have uploaded soem for their perusal.

Regards

John

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:02 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

April 11th:

In the late afternoon could hear some gulls screeching so looked up and could see two of them mobbing a Sprawk. Also while cleaning one of the bird tables spooked a Blackie and spotted a nest in the Ivy with 3 or 4 young uns. There was much going back and forth by both parents today [ 13th ] and saw the female sitting on the nest.

John

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:14 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

May 5th:

Before I went away on the 24th April I had spotted both parents feeding the young Blackbirds in the nest outside the lounge window in the Ivy, it was hard to tell if there were three or four mouths clambering for attention. With the local moggy taking up residence months ago in my garden [ I do encourage it :lol: ] I assumed on my return that none of the youngsters would have survived. For the first few days I only spotted one [ a big fatty as well ] then a couple of days ago saw three well fed young 'uns, so was very pleased, the adults are still feeding them as well.

Kind regards

John :D

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:59 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Baby Chaffinch in garden today! No wonder a pair have been visiting my feeders so often!

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:22 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Kestrel over the house today seen by my mate, I was busy chatting as usual. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:46 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

June 18th:

Plenty of action in the garden this past week with no shortage of juvs. Not been able to take as much interest since returning from Scotland due to a muscle spasm in my back and had too much pain to venture out, but hoping I'll be able to do the WeBS on Sunday. The following is a list of what I was able to spot this week either in or above the garden>
On Monday had highlight of week with a male Bullfinch seen on Nyger feeder for all of thirty seconds! Since then the following are all juvs: Robin - 1, Goldfinch - 4, Starling - 2, Blackbird - 8 [ three familes of one, four and three ], Dunnock - 2, Wood Pigeon - 1, Collared Dove - 2, House Sparrow - 2 and Blue Tit - 2.

With the extensive amount of Ivy I had hoped for maybe a Spotted Fly' :o

Oddly not seen any juv Greenfinch yet.

Regards

John

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:22 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Big surprise this morning - a Jay on a feeding table only 2 metres from a window! Although we are only 150 metres from a small mature spinney I have only seen a Jay once locally in more than 3 years. Lots and lots of Greenfinches this year, relatively scarce in the garden before now. Lots more of all the usual species this year including a female Sparrowhawk that visits at least once a week but often departs empty handed (footed).

David

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next