The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:03 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Garden
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:18 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Garden List acquires its 30th species today!

Moorhen probing around the privet hedge this morning!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:53 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Two days ago had two Long-tailed Tit on nut feeder but only stayed a min if that.

Today spotted what I thought was a female Siskin on niger feeder only to find out it was a Lesser Redpoll [ a first for my garden and first one seen this winter] and then it flew off returning with another, yabba dabba doo :D Few minutes ago had a single LTT on nut feeder. Good amount of birds today with upto 18 Goldfinch, at least a dozen Greenfinch, seven C. Dove, eight Chaffinch, sixteen House Sparrows plus W. Pigeon, Starling, Blackbird etc.

Yesterday found a dead male Chaffinch.

Max

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:09 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

This afternoon counted 28 Goldfinch both on the ground and the feeders with one of the Lesser Redpoll trying to get a perch on the feeder but as it was outnumbered it left and didn't return. As dusk came I went out and filled the niger feeder to it's capacity in the hope the redpoll will have a fighting chance. Still good numbers of birds feeding.

Instead of putting apples on the ground where they are virtually left alone I've put them in the fat ball feeder to see if it makes any difference.

Max

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:31 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

The two L Redpoll have now been visiting one week, I see one or both everyday on the niger feeder and have manged to get a few pics and video of them feeding.

Two days ago had 24 Greenfinch plus all the usual. Never did get any Fieldfare or Redwing as far as I know, the Starlings have set about the apples.

Max

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:06 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Anyone else doing the Big Garden Birdwatch this weekend?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:13 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Never cease, Katharine!

Richard........

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:08 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Richard Gunn wrote:
Never cease, Katharine!

Richard........

Eh?

Cleaning the feeders at the minute - feeders ought to be designed so that it is impossible for bits of seed to get stuck at the bottom, below the lowermost feeding ports. It's a right pain trying to get the damp stuff out after rain!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:24 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

TIME OF BIRDWATCH: 12:45 - 13:45.

RESULTS:

Starling - 18
House Sparrow - 18
Blackbird - 8
Dunnock - 3
Goldfinch - 3
Collared Dove - 3
Greenfinch - 1
Blue Tit - 1

No-shows from the 2 regular Great Tits, the wren that hops round the veg patch and the robin that visits at least 4 times a week. Will be doing another hour tomorrow morning.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:25 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

HOUR 2.

TIME: 12:10 - 13:10 31/01/10

WEATHER: Still, cold, not much cloud.

RESULTS:

Unexpected bird - 1 Pheasant!

Expected birds - Blue Tit - 2. House Sparrow - 12. Starling - 14. Robin - 2 fighting in buddleia over territorial rights. Blackbird - 4. Collared Dove - 4. Goldfinch - 1. Dunnock - 4. Greenfinch - 2.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:00 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Feb 1st:

Highlights of the day a male Blackcap [ life tick for garden ] spent most of it's time flitting between front and rear garden eating apples when it could get near them because the Starlings were hogging them. Finally they left and it got stuck in to a couple of pieces under one of the trees at bottom end of rear garden, it stayed till 16.30. I couldn't believe my luck!

Also had first Bullfinch in garden for best part of ten to fifteen years but it was a very short stay of half minute, maybe it will come back after it saw all the other birds getting well fed, maybe not.

The pair of Lesser Redpoll are still here battling with the Goldfinch on the nyger feeder, with them being here I make sure the feeders are well stocked. After reading Ian's thread about a Buzzard visiting his garden [ fantastic :!: ] I'm tempted to make a visit to the butcher :lol: .

Had a varied selection of birds yesterday including the tits etc always like to see the Coalie.

Last week got a couple of roosting baskets and another feeder.

Regards

John :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:39 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Feb 2nd:

Blackcap returned and I managed to get much better pics and video of it on the NUT feeder, yes I did say nut feeder, it was also eating the niger seed on the ground and I saw it eating one of the pears I'd put out. :D

The male L Redpoll was feeding on the niger most of the day and didn't seem bothered by the fighting of the Goldfinch group, which totalled 32 a record I believe, for the garden. No sign of any Tit family or Bully but plenty of Greenfinch.

Hope the Wren put's in an appearance as I've put shredded cheshire cheese out.

Regards

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:42 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Feb 11th:

The male Blackcap is still here, that's 11 days, eleven fantastic days, never thought in a month of Sundays one would visit the garden, thank goodness for the bad weather :lol: This past week I've seen it eating seeds, apples, pears, cheese, nuts etc, also seen it drinking out the apple after a frost, I suppose it's a sort of cider :lol: It's looking healthy anyway.

Only the male Lesser Redpoll has been seen in last few days almost always on the nyger feeder, it's now been here three weeks, which again is fantastic :D It is looking really well in it's spring coat.

Both these birds make every day worth getting up for!

Some days there are upwards of 100 birds feeding be it the front or rear garden. Instead of filling the feeders once a week I'm having to do it three times a week. I certainly make sure the nyger one keeps topped up otherwise the Redpoll will go missing.

Kind regards

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:45 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Feb 21st:

Not seen the male Blackcap since a week last Friday. But one of the Redpoll is still here, that's a month one or the other have been here.

John

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:43 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Feb 27th:

Lesser Redpoll still here, I'm convinced the one I see most days is a female. It has a red cap, black bib and a white chest which is streaked at the sides. I'll have to upload the photos etc I've taken of them and the Blackcap sometime soooooooooooooooooon :lol:

John

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:59 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

House Sparrows appear to be collecting nesting material.... lots of grass and small twiggery in beak... meanwhile, a pair of Long-tailed Tits seem to be spending a lot of time in my garden... wonder if I'll get a nesting pair this year?

Oh, and the Mallards are well and truly back. Don't precisely know why... our garden pond is weeny!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next