The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:34 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Garden
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:45 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Nov 28th: Sprawk high over, Chaffinch - 6, Greenfinch - 9, Goldfinch - 11, Spugs - 22 & Common Gull.
Dec 3rd: Common Gull - 23 above, Jackdaw - 2, Rook - 1, Crow - 4, Starling - 32 ( started picking up last few days but oddly this year not coming for the berries, instead taking seed and cheese ), Spugs - c30, Chaffinch - 3, Greenfinch - 4, Blackies - 7 coming for berries etc, Goldfinch - 4, Black head Gull - 3, Dunnock - 1, Great Tit - 2, Blue Tit - 2, Coal Tit - 1.

Kind regards

Max

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:53 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Dec 5th: Chaffinch - 5, Greenfinch - 3, Dunnock - 1, Robin - 1.

Most of this month the birds have been bit thin on ground other than the Spugs with just odds and ends of others :( .

Dec 19th: Had two Magpie going back and forth onto the bird table getting fat ball mixture, they are a cracking bird and the colours were standing out in the sunshine and they are so comical, it's always a pleasure to see them :D

The shortest day (21st) turned out to be bird fest =D> When I drew the curtains in back bedroom the garden was buzzing. Hadn't seen so many Goldfinch at one time all year must have been at least 30, three parts of them ground feeding below the niger feeder, there was no room on the feeder 8) . On getting in kitchen got bins and started to count, was c12 Greenfinch, c12 Chaffinch, 2 Dunnock, c30 Spugs, single W Pigeon, couple of Dove, one Blue Tit and two Blackies. With increased numbers of Starlings over, Common Gull - c18 and corvids going back and forth to YWT I expect.

MESSAGE TO THOSE WHO READ MY THREAD = may you all have a happy Xmas and new year. Good luck with your sightings and thanks for reading "My Garden"

Kind regards

Max :D :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:51 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

In the last week of December very few birds were seen in either the back or front gardens, not sure why!

On 7th January had for the first time since mid October a few hours away from the house etc and went to Kirton area, saw little of note but had an interesting chat with a local chap, and we had more in common than at first thought.

Last week started getting up much earlier so therefore seeing more activity in the garden. The numbers have certainly increased, but still no sign of Waxwings, they would need to be acrobatic to get the fruits that are left :wink: but there is still enough I think. There is a road a few mins from me and the trees are absolutely laden with berries ( the Waxies have visited there the past few years but much later than other places).

Sightings this past week have been as follows: upto a dozen Chaffinch, 25 Goldfinch, half a dozen Greenfinch, 2 Blue Tit, 2 Great Tit, 2 Dunnock, 1 Robin, 2 Magpie, dozen Starling, 30+ Spugs, pair of Blackie, 7 C Dove, 4 Wood Pigeon, 3 Feral Pigeon. Seen go over a couple of Jackdaw, Crow and Rook, 30+ Common Gull plus a few hundred gulls each day going to roost and returning next day.

Although it's a little early I'm hoping for Siskin and Redpoll to pop in, plus anything else that fancies getting stocked up on grub. :)

Kind regards

Max

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:13 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Jan 15th 2013: Spotted a Wren on the lilac next to kitchen window, not seen one for months! Also the two Magpie are now regular visitors mostly to the bird table getting pieces of fat ball and anything else on offer, I really enjoy watching them. Also spotted a single Jackdaw pop in, they mostly perch on the roof but this time they explored the back garden.

Jan 16th: Noticed two Dunnock in front garden along with the usual gang.
Jan 19th: Five blackies on the wild cherry tree getting a few berries.

Jan 22nd: New garden tick = late in day spotted a single Fieldfare in the cherry tree :D managed to take a few pics and a video in the poor light.

Jan 23rd: At 08:15 looked out back bedroom window and guess who was waiting for me :) the Fieldfare, went for camera even though the light wasn't too good, snap snap snap went the shutter light or no light. The time was now 10:30 and I was getting hungry but didn't want to leave the bird in case I missed summat, but needs must :lol: After feeding the moggy I got back to the lounge window and started clicking and filming, by this time the light had improved somewhat thankfully. I shouldn't blow my own trumpet but if I don't nobody else will :lol: but most of the pics and two of the HD videos are without doubt stunning! Looking forward to seeing them on the PC, it's a bit different viewing them on a 3" screen to seeing them on a 18" monitor. For those who have these massive television screens wud the detail be just as good?

At about midday the Fieldfare was joined by seven more, but they didn't stay more than a minute and flew to a neighbours hawthorn full of berries and then towards the old school. WHAT A BRILL DAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Kind regards

Max :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:15 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Jan 24th - 26th: The Fieldfare stayed till Saturday afternoon, so five days having it's company is great! Until I read about them hadn't realised how defensive they are of their food supply, I'd noticed it fending off all-comers be it a Chaffinch or Wood Pigeon and the getting stuck into the apples mostly. The last few days it was here I got some cracking photos/videos of this gorgeous bird.

In the early evening of the 24th watched about 50 Starlings fly round and round and up and down, (like the time I saw 1000s at MSQ) waiting to go to roost for about twenty mins.

Last few days seen very little in the back garden other than a few Goldfinch and C Dove, but in the front garden there must be upwards of 40 Spugs, they were tucking into some jam tarts which hadn't turned out right #-o plus a couple of Dunnock.

In the past few weeks there must have been six different moggies pass through both gardens most days, but they don't seem interested in the birds, never seen any being stalked. Personally I think the Sprawk gets far more birds on my "patch" than the moggies, but that's okay because they got to eat and that's nature.

Kind regards

Max

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:04 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Didn't realise I was way behind updating this thread :shock:

February has just flown by as far as I'm concerned but most days are getting warmer :D

The first week of Feb' saw very little except for the gang of Spuggys in front garden which most days they number upwards of 40, and a mate of mine also gets good numbers of them in his back garden, so they are certainly thriving in our neck of woods, unlike some places in my county.

The second week saw a little more action with a pair of Collared Doves seen mating on the fence, with the local Sprawk making a pass over the house.

The third week picked up as well with a visit from two Long-tailed Tit on the 20th, did manage to get some close up pics which turned out good, they were on the fat slab feeder in the lilac. This day also saw a Robin, Dunnock, Magpie, Doves, Chaffinches, Starling - c40, Blackie, Wood Pigeons and over had 15 adult and 1 1st winter Common Gull.

Last week spotted a female Blackie with nesting material going in the front garden privet hedge every day, which I can see sat in my armchair in lounge which is handy =D> . Also spotted a pair of W Pigeons mating on the same fence as the Doves ( must be a lucky fence).

The number of birds has certainly increased with one day a party of 5 Greenfinches on the rowan, up to a dozen Chaffinch in back garden and half a dozen in front garden ( keeping a constant eye-out for Brambling but not very hopeful). Had two Magpie in garden taking particular interest in the small conifer, had wondered if they were thinking of nest building or a raiding party for eggs etc.

Today March 3rd had a very short but noisy visit from 13 Common Gull ( they rarely land ) after I put the remnants of a chicken carcass on the garage roof, there was no way I'd have time to get the camera, but enjoyed the spectacle from no more than 30', they were not bothered that I was stood there :)

Well that's got that updated, now for a cuppa and biscuits mmmmmmm :wink:

Kind regards

John

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:31 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Despite being seen in the area recently; this morning during heavy rain I saw my first siskin in the garden since 1994! Well impressed
It was in a mixed flock of around 30 lesser redpoll and a dozen goldfinch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:47 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

March 4th spotted a Dunnock in front garden.

March 15th had 15 Chaffinch with the other birds, checked each one.

March 19th: While at kitchen window spotted a tiny bird among the forsythia and weigela at far end of back garden, at first thought it a Wren, so fetched bins and saw it was a Goldcrest ( only third recording in 20 years). Fetched camera in case it came closer, it did a bit, it landed on the holly then magnolia and finally wild cherry, I tried a few times to get it but each time when I had it in focus it flew :( #-o into the conifer. Spotted two Great Tit and two Dunnock with singles of Goldfinch, Spug, Blackie, Greenfinch, Chaffinch and Starling. Spotted a bout a dozen or so C Dove feathers under the rowan, so maybe the Sprawk had collared one, again.

Well chuffed with the Goldcrest until 17:55 when while in the kitchen heard sound of what I thought were pinks, then went out with bins and over the house quite low were 26 Whoopers heading north :D .
Reading Andy's thread it seems there are quite a few moving this way.

( I have put the Whooper and Goldcrest on Lincs Bird Sightings as well ).

Kind regards

John :D :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:56 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

March 21st: spotted what I think was a pair of Dunnock in front garden, over the last few years a pair have bred either in the privet or ?

March 27th: Common Gull - 17 in and over getting bread. Two Greenfinch, pair Great Tit, six Chaffinch, plus the spugs.

March 31st: Chaffinch - 24+ and the pair of GT.

April 2nd: Sprawk over and again on the 3rd but this time it landed on neighbours roof.

Regards

JTG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:36 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

April 11th: Stayed in today, so more seen.

Pair of Dunnock in conifer at end of rear garden displaying and in front garden a juv and adult Dunnock so I put loats of tiny seeds out for them. Spotted a female Blackie with collecting nesting material and watched where it went, about four feet from my front lounge window :D into the Ivy clinging from the fence panel which if we have a very strong wind will blow down :cry: and the nest is only three feet off the ground. Not sure if it's the same female that had a nest a few feet away in the privet hedge, she sat on it for quite a while but never saw any young uns, it was extremely close to an hole which the local moggies nip through :x

Spotted a pair of Blackie in back garden, plus a Magpie over, a Rook over, Common Gull over, six Chaffinch, four Goldfinch, four Feral Pigeon, single Wood Pigeon, five C Dove, twelve Spugs, two Greenfinch, six Starling and two Blue Tit. I daresay I missed others because I fell asleep in my chair probably because I had moved it next to radiator and it was on, when I woke up it was dark :shock: so watched for bats but nil, maybe it's too cold.

All for now

John

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:31 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

April 13th:

Blackie finished nest in Ivy in front garden, thankfully it's well hidden.

April 15th:

Sprawk over early.
Dunnock - 2 adult + 1 juv in front garden.

Kind regards

JTG

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:01 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

May 1st: LT Tit - 1 ( on nuts in front garden )

May 5th: Sprawk overhead 20:00.

May 6th:20:00hrs - while forking over my new raised bed, heard a chattering and looked towards it and damn me spotted a male Brambling with another bird in close attention which could possibly have been a female, it was mostly hidden by the leaves! I couldn't believe my eyes, the male was a little cracker :D . If I hadn't been in garden would have missed them. They only stayed a minute then flew off. If only I'd had the camera, most times I do but...

Just before they arrived the local Sprawk passed overhead, phew wouldn't that have been tragic.

Brambling is new garden tick. :D

Yabba dabba doo

John
PS: will mention new garden tick on the sightings section cos only a select number read my thread :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:30 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

May 7th: female Blackie seen going to nest in my neighbours Ivy. Also male Blackie taking food to nest in conifer at back garden. There was a Wood Pigeon nesting very close by but nothing came of it mainly I think because I found two eggs on the floor next to Hedgehog den.

May 12th: spotted one more nest in the conifer plus four in the recently cut very-high privet, looked in them but nothing as yet.

May 13th: saw both Blackie parents taking food to the nest in the Ivy in front garden ( had thought the cats had either got them or ? cos they both like laying on the chippings directly beneath) and when I got chance had a very quick peep and saw three juvs looking as if they were well ready to leave the nest. I've seen two Dunnock flitting in and out the privet very close by so maybe they...

May 14th: Spotted the male Blackie going into the Potentilla so had a much closer look and sure enough one of the juvs was perched on a thick Ivy tendril well out of sight. Later in day either it or one of the others was perched in one of the Lilacs in back garden, so took a photo.

Kind regards

JTG :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:22 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Time for an update:

May 16th: the other two juv Blackies left the nest .
May 17th: Dunnock - 1, Greenfinch - 1pr.
May 19th: Wood Pigeon - 1 juv, Blackie - 1 juv.
May 22nd: Great Tit - 1 juv, Blue Tit - 1
May 23rd: Blackie - 3 juvs (pics of two ).

Hadn't seen the mum of the three Blackies or the smallest of the trio so must assume they are dead.

June 3rd: the two juv Blackies are still being fed by Dad ( got pics). Spotted a very high raptor which at first I thought was a Buzz then after put it down as a Kestrel ( never seen one that high).

June 4th: spotted what I believe to be another pair of Blackies taking food to a nest behind garage.
June 10th: the pair are still taking food to the nest.

Here is a lesson for those who don't fill their feeders and expect to get birds in their garden, they won't come. Last few weeks I've only been putting out dried mealworms, apples, fat balls and scraps, resulting in a massive drop in birds visiting except the good old Blackies, an odd Blue Tit, not forgetting a few Spugs, Wood Pigeon and C Dove. I MUST GET THE SEED FEEDERS FILLED! :)

Kind regards

John

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:38 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

June 17th: while sat at end of garden spotted 3 House Martin over, that's the first I've seen over this year. Not seen Swallow or Swift yet. The juvs have left the nest behind garage, not sure how many were in the nest but have seen 2 being fed by both parents.

June 20th: One juv Sparrow in front garden tree being fed.
June 21st: 23 juv Starling on the roof of neighbour at end of back garden.

June 22nd: A sort of sad tale but thankfully not (yet) involving death. While in front garden checking on clematis spotted a bedraggled juvenile next to a water tub ( a plastic black pudding container) and partially hidden by the leaves of the polyanthus, I bent down and said hello. It looked at me and had the most sad face :shock: I said nah then what you doing, and I had to look twice to ID it, it was a Blackie and was as skinny as me, so you can imagine it didn't look too good, poor thing! I'm not sure if it's come out the nest too early or if the parents aren't feeding it enough or maybe it's ill. Wondered if it was the parents first time and maybe are struggling to feed it. Anyway it while later I looked in same place and it had gone! But only as far as the dead branch of the buddleah, which is only a foot off the ground, got a few pics and video.

June 23rd: Fully expected not seeing the young blackie but blow me I did thankfully, at midday just after I got up spotted it perched on the cotoneaster well camoflaged :D . Again got pics and video of mum feeding it. Did my bit and put out some dried mealworms, fat balls, scraps and some madiera cake. When I went close to the young un it looked to be in better fettle YIPPEE I'm hoping and praying the local Sprawk doesn't pay a visit, if it does I'll do my best to shoo it off. I sincerely hope the young un manages to get to adulthood. I know I'm a softie but I can't help it. Lets hope it survives another night and keeps out of sight of the moggies. I assume it's parents only had it cos I've not seen any other juvs.

Also seen a juv Robin and one of the parents, both in front and back garden. Had a adult Blue Tit on the sunflower seeds, plus a few adult spugs and juv Starlings. Spotted one Goldfinch, I hope it tells its mates that I've filled the DY niger feeder plus all the other assorted feeders. Saw a adult Dunnock. In back garden the Blackie adults are feeding their two young uns. The Wood Pigeon and a couple of Doves are eating whatever.

The corvids are back and forth all day and most of evening most likely to YWT rookery. Seen the odd common and BH Gull.

That's all folks, don't forget to keep your fingers X-ed for the skinny juv . [-o< [-o< [-o<

John

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next