The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Garden
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:57 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

March 28th: male Blackie feeding dried mealworms to the young uns.
March 29th: female Blackie on nest with male coming regular.
March 31st: spotted one young un in nest.
April 2nd: spotted two young uns beaks in nest.
April 3rd: I did wonder why only the male has been feeding them all week and not seen the female feeding them, on reading guide now wiser.
April 4th: This morning spotted the two juvs perched on nest, managed to get a pic of one, they are well hidden in the ivy and potentilla. One left and later the other, it was sat in the shrub so got a pic, lets hope they survive.

All week had a pair of Blue & Great Tit snacking on the sunflower seeds, a pair of Wood Pigeon nest building in the back yard conifer. A pair of Dunnock seen. Six C Dove. Greenfinch - 3, Chaffinch - 6, Goldfinch - 6, Magpie - 1, House Spugs - 6.

Kind regards

John

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:43 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

April 5th: spotted the two juv Blackies in privet hedge in front garden.
April 6th: One of them landed on front lounge windowsill :)
April 8th: while looking out dining room window spotted two young Blackies perched on another nest in the Holly tree next to the window :) no wonder it's frantic in front garden.
April 9th: only spotted one juv Blackie next to nest and the other two still hiding in the privet.

April 7th: spotted odd behaviour by a Great Tit, it was at far end of back garden perched on a small tree, it dropped down and picked up some leaves then flew back and within seconds dropped them, it did this a second time while I was looking through bins, I noticed it's partner very close by. At first I wondered if it was picking the leaves up in hope a grub was in them, then wondered if it was some sort of display. Any ideas? :?

Kind regards

John

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:56 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

April 10th:

Two juv Blackie with male feeding them in front garden ( got pics of both). Spotted a Wood Pigeon nest in rear garden conifer with nest occupied by adult.

Spotted another male Blackie taking food to a nest behind garage.

April 11th +

Male Blackie in front garden feeding both the juvs all week, with a female now on nest in the holly as of the 15th.

Yesterday spotted an odd looking Blue Tit in small tree next to the photinia, it looked very much like a young Blue Tit or possibly an adult going through the moult. I'm not technically minded when it comes to birds jizz if thats the word. But this had what I would call it's juvenile feathers on part of it's back, but it didn't have a brown cap it was a light blue, like an adult. I took a dozen pics but the bird had it's back to me most of the time. Thought it was very early to be a juvenile and more so to be on it's own :?

Regards

John

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:36 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

April 15th:

Spotted female Blackie on nest in the Holly shrub. Male Blackie still feeding the juvs of the Ivy nest.

April 21st:

Female Blackie still on nest in Holly. Two juv Blackies perched on the old Buddleai while dad finds food for them.

April 23rd:

Three juv Blackie + male adult with female on Holly nest.

April 25th:

Three juv Blackie feeding themselves :)

May 2nd:

Saw four juv Blackies in Holly nest being fed by dad, with mum on nest. One juv Blackie in back garden being fed by dad, this is from the nest in the privet behind garage.

May 5th:

Spotted five juv Blackbird in the Holly nest, looked a bit crowded.

May 7th:

Two juvs in Holly nest fluttering their wings and preening.

May 8th:

One juv left nest in Holly, and went to the Cotoneaster and then in privet, could see three in the nest.

May 9th:

One juv Blackbird left in Holly nest with four juv and both parents in front garden. Two juv Blackbird and one adult female in back garden.

May 10/11th:

Took video/pics of five juv + mum Blackbird in back garden.

May 13th:

Female Blackbird with nesting material seen in front garden.

This year had four Blackbird nests plus another on the way :D Far as I know all the young uns have survived. :D

Have now had a bird box erected, fingers crossed.

Toodle loo

JTG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:15 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

For those interested I've been in Scotland for a while :D now for catch-up.

On June 6th spotted a Collared Dove nest in the wild cherry tree, these birds need a course in nest building :lol: they are always so flimsy. As yet nothing. The Blackbird did build a nest in the privet in front garden.

June 10th: A juv Robin was right in front of the french window on the wood chips sunning itself so got camera and ran off 26 pics and a three minute video, the colours on the bird were stunning!

June 12th: Saw my first House Martin -2 over.
June 13th: One juv Goldfinch on the niger feeder.
June 15th: One juv Blackbird in front garden I assume from the nest in privet.

June 16th: Greenfinch - 1, Great Tit - 2 juvs + 2 adult, Blue Tit - 3 juv + 1 adult, Wood Pigeon - 1 juv + 1 adult, Blackbird - 2 juv + 1 adult, H Spug - 1

June 21st: Blue Tit - 3 juv all bathing together (video), Wood Pigeon - 2 juvs, Blackbird - 3 juvs + 2 adults, Chaffinch - 1, Greenfinch - 1.

Well pleased! :D

Kind regards

JTG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:45 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

July 4th: two pair of Blackbird's feeding their young uns in back garden, eventually one of the adult males got annoyed and had a go at the other male, no blood was spilt and they carried on as before :) . Had my first Swift's over, got three with two House Martin.
Overhead had a Sprawk. Under the niger feeder was a juv Robin & Dunnock.

July 6th: Sprawk over again.

Regards

John

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:37 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

July 7th:

Sprawk over, House Martin - 7, Swift - 2, BH Gull - 2.

July 10th:

Song Thrush - 1 ( stayed 5 secs) first one for ages
Blackbird - 7

July 16th:

Male Sprawk landed on clothes post only five feet from kitchen window, best view ever of male :D

Regards

John

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:01 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

July 22nd:

Five juv Blue Tits enjoying the sunflower hearts and drinks. Got film/pics of three on nut feeder.

July 25th:

Female Blackbird feeding two juvs mealworms and some biscuits I'd had just had. Got film/pics of them.
c200 Common and BH Gulls going to roost with a 60/40 ratio.

July 26th:

Gulls enjoying the flying ants.

July 28th:

Long-tail Tit - 5 on the nut feeder got video and pics.
Greenfinch - 1 that's the first one for ages.
Goldfinch - 1
C Dove - 2
Spugs - 3
W Pigeon - 1
Great Tit - 1
Poor do cept the LTT.

Aug 4th:

Blue Tit - 3 juv having a bath.

Regards

John
PS: being injured I've not been filling the feeders so the birds are very few of late.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:45 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

My left foot did finally get better after three weeks laid up, it was inflammation of the instep. Since then not done much at all not been too good again. So only just got round to filling feeders up.

Update:

Aug 11th: Goldfinch - 3 + 1 juv, C Dove - 6, Blue Tit - 4 juvs.
Aug 19/20th: Blue Tit - 2 juvs, Great Tit, Blackbird, Chaffinch and a few spugs.

Sept 6th: Goldfinch, Blackbird, C Dove, W Pigeon, Spugs - 6, Blue/Great Tit.

Hope the birds will return in numbers now I've filled the feeders. Did keep the water tubs full.

Take care

John

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:52 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Sept 10th: Sprawk over.

Sept 13th: Goldfinch - 16, Blue Tit - 1 adult + 3 juvs, Great Tit, C Dove - 4, Wood Pigoen - 1 + 1j
Greenfinch - 3, Spugs - 2 and Blackbird - 2.

Sept 22nd: Dunnock - 2, Robin - 1, plus usual.

Sept 23rd: Greenfinch - 9, plus usual.

Oct 1st: Robin on fat ball feeder, Coal Tit - 2 must be months since I saw any, Greenfinch - 8, Dunnock - 2, Magpie, C Dove - 6, Blackbird, Goldfinch, W Pigeon, Great & Blue Tits, plus Spugs & Starlings, Rooks, Crow and Jackdaws.

Getting more birds thankfully. Not seen as many gulls pass over at teatime going to roost.

Cheers

John :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:29 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Oct 9th: Coal, Blue & Great Tit - 2 of each.

Oct 12th: Robin on fat ball feeder, Dunnock under said feeder, Blackbird - 2, Chaffinch - 2, C Dove - 3, Goldfinch - 5, Blue Tit - 2.

:D Oct 15th:

Robin, Chaffinch - 3, Great & Blue Tit - 2 of each, Dunnock - 2, C Dove - 7, Blackbird - 5, Goldfinch - 2, H Spug - 2, Starling - 2, Greenfinch - 2, Crow - 2 and Common Gull - 2.

Oct 16th: Coal Tit plus above.

Oct 19th:

The Common Gulls about a dozen and a mixture of Crow(6) and Jackdaw(4) were having fun in the wind above me, they were calling out and playing dodgems :lol: because I spent most of afternoon in garden and sat next to hoggy's den(minus it) the cat has taken over the upper part of it the birds kept away. At 18:45 I could hear honking and looked to see 13 Pink-Feet going east :)

There are plenty of berries for the birds with for the first time a good crop of Hawthorn berries plus the cherry trees having a good supply.

With kind regards

John :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:59 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Oct 26th: Magpie with a gammy leg feeding under the bird table.

Oct 27th: C Dove found dead on path beneath window. Coal, Blue & Great Tit.

Oct 30th: Pinks over early evening.

Nov 10th: female Sprawk low over.

Nov 11th: Greenfinch - 9, Dunnock - 2, Robin, Common Gull, Blackbird - 4 getting the berries, Blue Tit - 3, Great Tit - 2, Goldfinch - 6, H Spugs - 9, Magpie.

Nov 14th: Coal Tit etc.

Nov 16th: Highlight of year by a mile, a Goldcrest on the lilac shrub staring full-on in kitchen window, went for camera but no chance. It's years since one came in garden and quite a long time since I saw one while out in the 'field'. Last one that visited landed on the magnolia. supported by usual cast. I've noticed that the spugs are increasing to at least 12 mainly in front garden.

My weekend was a good 'un with seeing the seals/pups and some Eider and Snow Bunts at Donna Nook on a trip out given me by some good friends.

Kind regards

John :D :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:27 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Things bit slow of late even though I'm keeping the fourteen feeders and two tables well stocked. One of the tables is starting too look well worn so may just treat myself to a new one or make one. Don't want to destroy it as it has a bird box on even though in the fifteen years it's been here no bird has ever used it for nesting, but possibly for shelter, so will keep it just in case.

Nov 21st and almost every day since the Coal Tit and Dunnock has visited.

Nov 25th: Great & Blue Tit - 2 of each, Jackdaw - 4, Common Gull - 3, Blackbird - 5, Chaffinch - 2, C Dove - 3, Crow - 2, Goldfinch - 6, Robin, Greenfinch - 2, Starling - 12, H Spug - 22, W Pigeon - 2.

Dec 4th: c100 Gulls going N/E to roost looked to be mostly Common Gull. Usual gang in both gardens getting the black sunflower seeds, peanuts, fat balls, cheese, apples, niger, dried mealworms, berries off the trees etc.

Kind regards

John :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:41 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Hello ,

Hoping you all enjoyed the Xmas spirit and wishing you a very happy and healthy 2015.

The birds have been eating well here a bit too well sometimes, as I don't always feel like filling the feeders when I'm off it.

Right lets check the diary.

Dec 22nd: Common Gull - 15, LBB Gull - 1, H Spugs - 9, Chaffs - 4, Greenfinch - 5, Blackbird - 3, Goldfinch - 4, Robin - 1, C Dove - 4, Starling - 4, Dunnock - 1, Crow - 2.

Dec 26: Common Gull - 5, Jackdaw - 2, Crow - 3, Starling - 16, Great Tit - 2, Blue Tit - 3, Coal Tit - 1, Goldfinch - 18, Greenfinch - 9, Chaffinch - 7, Dunnock - 2, Robin - 1, C Dove - 5, Blackbird - 5, H Spugs - 22, Wood pigeon - 1, Magpie - 1.

Just seen one of our members has been lucky enough to have L Redpoll Bullfinch in his garden, lets hope the Redpoll pays a visit here, had them before but not last year. Still a few berries left for the Waxwings which I see are on the edge of town, never had one in garden yet. If it gets really bad weather should get a few returning birds such as Yellowhammer, Fieldfare, Blackcap, Redpoll etc. I'd prefer not to get bad weather mainly for us drivers! Anyway whatever happens we have no control over it.

Not strictly a bird but Xmas Eve had the ISS over and that's a NEW GARDEN TICK not sure what bird could equal or better that :lol: very exciting all the same!

Toodle loo for now,

Keep safe and take care

JTG aka Max :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:49 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I am well behind, didn't realise, don't come on the PC much.

In January the Coal Tit was a regular, on 2nd had 22 Common Gull visit, on the 3rd had 24 Spuggies in front plus the usual finches.

On the 14th at 07:29 had a cracking view of the ISS it was visible a couple of minutes, told next door to come and look we was in awe, that's the third sighting tell ya what it beats see the WTSE which I've seen a few times. Then later on way home from Leeds had 3 Red Kite, for me it doesn't get any better!

Jan 16th had c25 geese over south. The 26th had 28 Common Gull getting chicken scraps took about ten seconds.

Jan 29th spotted a male Sprawk on next doors fence, then it flew next to kitchen window, went for camera and it had moved to the magnolia but still got four pics and later Coal Tit came.

Feb 4th: Greenfinch - 11, Chaffinch - 9, Rook - 1, Common Gull - 15, Dunnock, Robin, Goldfinch, Spugs - 24, C Doves - 4, W pigs - 2, Blackbird - 2, Jackdaw - 5, Starling - 16.

Feb 6th: Robin - 2, Coalie.
Feb 9th: Coalie, Robin - 2, Wren, Blue Tit - 2, Great Tit - 3, Dunnock, Chaffinch - 7, C Dove - 5, Greenfinch - 11, Spugs - c20, Goldfinch - 8, Blackbird - 2, W Pigs - 3.

No Siskin or Redpoll yet. I'm well chuffed getting two Robin, yes I'm easily pleased!

Take care

Regards

JTG :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next