The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:27 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Papua New Guinea.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just back from a private 3 week birding trip to PNG.
I went with two friends from England and we spent two days in Singapore before flying to Port Moresby where we were met by a 4th birder from California.
In the three weeks we visited Varirata N P, Kiunga, Ekame lodge (up the Fly river), Tabubil, Mount Hagen and Tari before returning to Port Moresby. We used local guides in each area and travelled around in 4 WD vehicles and on 5 internal flights.
We suffered numerous problems, including cancellations, with the internal flights which are notoriously unreliable.
Weather was dry at Port Moresby but wet in all other areas with often only 2 or 3 hours of dry weather during the morning and rain most afternoons.
Insects were a problem in low to mid elevation areas with lots of mosquitoes, leeches and chiggers.
Birding was hard work as the birds tend to be very secretive due to the fact that they are still hunted in many areas.
Despite all this we had a great time and I saw 290 species in the three weeks (plus a further 59 in Singapore) getting 31 lifers in Singapore and an amazing 278 in PNG.
Highlights were as follows:-
24 species of “Birds of Paradise” with males of all but 2 of these and many seen displaying.
3 sightings of New Guinea Harpy Eagle.
Chestnut Forest-Rail right out in the open.
6 Southern Crowned Pigeons, very large and impressive.
9 species of Fruit Dove.
6 species of Imperial Pigeons.
21 species of Lorikeets, Cockatoos and Parrots.
10 species of Cuckoo.
3 Papuan Frogmouths.
Barred and Mountain Owlet Nightjars.
10 species of Kingfisher including the incredible Shovel-billed and Hook-billed.
11 species of Cuckoo-Shrike.
New Guinea Logrunner.
A family party of seldom seen Papuan Whipbirds.
Painted Quail-Thrush.
3 species of Jewel-Babblers with very good views of Spotted, Blue and Chestnut-backed.
5 species of Pitohui including the poisonous Hooded and the seldom seen Crested.
Wattled Ploughbills.
5 species of Mannikin including Grand.
Torrent Lark and Torrent Flycatcher.
Great and White-breasted Woodswallows.
Plus Fairy-Wrens, Gerygones, Fantails, Monarchs, Robins, Whistlers, Honeyeaters and Meliphagas.

All in all a superb place to visit, but bear in mind the PNG motto “Expect the unexpected”.

If anyone wants a full list of the birds I saw please send me an email and I will forward it to you.

Andy.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]