The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:06 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bolivia
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:12 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I have just received an unexpected and a chance of a lifetime invite to La Paz in Bolivia soon. Until I receive an itinery I am not to sure how much time I will get to myself but already my thoughts have turned to what birds I might see.

A quick trawl through the book and birding sites has turned up very little. So can anybody offer me any advice or give me some indication of what I might see around the city and its vicinity

Chris

Post subject: Re: Bolivia
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:19 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Chris
an american birding company called fieldguides has a trip annually to Bolivia. If you go to there website you an access both the itinerary with sites to visit and also free downloads of previous years reports. They do not give exact sites but by comparing the itinerary with the reports you can work out where they have stayed hotels etc and also trails they have birded with species seen on that day. lots of semi desert and scrub there according to my read and good for condor. Hope this info is off assistance also i think naturetrek do a similar trip, good luck

Terence Whalin :D :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:58 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Thanks Terence I will certainly take a look

My biggest problem will be identification of what I do see. I have had difficulty in finding an adequate field guide for what I do see.

As I said in my original posting, I believe we are going to La Paz and hopefully Lake Titicaca but as yet I am not sure of the itinery or how long I will be in the country until later this week. There will be several of us going and I suspect free time will be kept to a minimum

thanks again

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:49 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Set off for Bolivia as part of a delegation early on 1st of August via New York and Lima
Was there until the 10th
Had very little time to myself so did very little bird watching
Our time was spent in La Paz and El Alto which is a shanty town of nearly a million people 1500 feet above La Paz and La Paz is about 14000 above sea level. We also had two days in Llallagua a mining town about six hours drive from La Paz over the Andes

The main problem on such a short trip was the altitude sickness. Any effort at all was exremely tiring. Even to walk a few hundred yards or climb a flight of stairs was distressing initially. It was also winter. Certainly for the first four or five days the last thing I was capable of doing was looking for birds

Central La Paz is certainly no place for birds
Plenty of Rock Doves
Feral pigeons and the odd Spot -Winged Pigeon
Also noted was what I took to be slate-throated redstart in some of the few trees

The city of El Alto was birdless except when you got out of habitation
Plenty of Turkey and Black Vultures and a tip (human scavengers also) near a cemetary which we visited on a pilgrimage

The trip to the mining town was through a desolate landscape which would have made an excellent location for the "Land of Mordor". Saw several raptors and ibis which I was unable ti identify from a van moving at 30 mph. Did note a couple of Mountain Caracaras

Also identified D'orbigny's Chat-Tyrant and Neotropical Cormorant in the poor town of Llallagua

Return back to La Paz in snow didn't produce anything identifiable

Disappointing trip birdwise but a chance of a lifetime - a visit which I will never forget

A non bird watching account of the trip can be found at
http://chrisbolivia.blogspot.com/
Just a warning that it is a political report

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]