The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:23 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:51 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Two old reports on holidays in Lesbos. They may be of interest to anyone planning a holiday there. Proving that good birds are to be had even outside of the migration period. Perhaps it is time for another visit!

BIRDS OF LESBOS
JUNE 5TH TO 19TH

KALLONI TWO POOL
Rapidly drying out by the 19th

EAST RIVER
The river didn’t seem to change much in my two weeks. With plenty of rocky beaches, dry areas and small pools but there was not much water north of the road bridge. See bee-eater entry for details of developments on the west bank

WEST RIVER
Although there was plenty of water in the river the salt marsh had virtually dried by the time I left the island.

KALLONI SALT PANS
The only workings with water were the ones further rest away from the path back to the east river. It was difficult to see even with a telescope. The channel around the pans was slowly drying out

PARAKILA MARSH
Rapidly drying out by the end of my two weeks in Lesbos

INLAND LAKE
I only visited this migration hotspot once which had plenty of water but few birds. There was little or no water in the ditches of the surrounding area

POLICHINITOS SALT PANS
I only visited this area briefly on one occasion. The pans contained plenty of water but not many birds

WEATHER
5th
Warm
6th-10th
Mainly cloudy and quite windy with small amounts of rain on occasions
11th
Thunderstorms in the late afternoon with not much rain deposited in the Skala Kalloni area
12th-19th
Bakingly hot

SIGHTINGS

LITTLE GREBE
Recorded in two locations both on the 8th of June. A pair was seen at the inland lake and another pair with chicks just inland from the road bridge at the mouth of Potamia River

WHITE PELICAN
A tame bird was on the beach at Skala Kalloni virtually everyday. Apparently this bird was stolen from Skala Eressos a couple of years earlier

SHAG
One seen at the mouth of Kalloni Bay on the 17th of June

GREY HERON
Two recorded regularly inland from the road bridge over the west river and another pair seen at “Derbyshire” on the 13th

LITTLE EGRET
A pair was seen at Parakila Marsh on the 10th of June. A single was seen there on the 13th and another was seen on a small (100 yards long by 3 yards wide) pool a quarter of a mile to the east of the mouth of the east river (see Black Stork entry)

LITTLE BITTERN
1 5th June concrete ford, East River
1 8th June concrete ford, East River
1 17th June concrete ford, East River. I did hear reports of three at this site in the first week of June

GLOSSY IBIS
1 5th of June, Kalloni Two Pool
1 6th of June, Kalloni Two Pool
1 8th of June , Kalloni Two Pool #
3 9th of June, Kalloni Two Pool
2 16th of June, Kalloni Two Pool
Apparently 3 there all this period

WHITE STORK
A pair was nesting on the church at Kerami throughout this period. Odd ones seen throughout the Skala Kalloni area

BLACK STORK
Seemingly more common than the White Stork!
4-5 7th June Kalloni Salt Pans
2 8th June Kalloni Salt Pans
1 9th June Potamia Valley
3 9th June Kalloni Salt Pans
2 10th June Flying over Skala Kalloni
14 11th June In a small pool at the East River
This pool 100 yards long and 3 yards wide was about a quarter of mile inland and a quarter of a mile to the east of the mouth of the East River. I didn’t see the birds until they exploded into the air as the pool was hidden from sight by a hedge. I didn’t get the chance to investigate this site again as it seemed to be on private land with the farmer and his dog in attendance
2 11th June Potamia valley
1 12th June East River
1 16th June West River
8 17th June East River and Skala Kalloni. Flying over the area
1 18th June East River
1 19th June Over Skala Kalloni

RUDDY SHELDUCK
The only two seen were at “Derbyshire” on the 13th

MALLARD
A pair was seen at the Inland Lake on the 8th of June

GARGANEY
A scraggy individual was seen on the Kalloni Two Pool on the 6th and the 8th

SHORT-TOED EAGLE
One was seen in the Potamia Valley on the 9th of June and another near Agra on the 13th

COMMON BUZZARD
Surprisingly scarce!
2 9th June High Potamia valley
1 11th June Entrance to the Potamia valley
1 13th June Entrance to the Potamia valley

LONG LEGGED BUZZARD
Seen six times, twice over Skala Kalloni and on the occasions in the area between the village and the Salt Pans, 6th, 7th, 8th, 11th, 17th & 18th

ELENORAS FALCON
Two singles seen on the 9th of June. One was flying up the Potamia Valley very early morning and one flying up the West River later that morning. These were more common than my observations suggest according to Tom, a fellow birdwatcher who was a neighbour of mine in Skala Kalloni

LESSER KESTREL
The only one seen was flying out to a small island at the entrance to Kalloni Bay on the 17th of June. Didn’t see any sign of the colony on the island at Sigri

KESTREL
The only one seen was hovering at the side of the mountain road down into Sigri

MOORHEN
1 6th June With 3 chicks. Concrete Ford East River
1 pair 7th June Concrete Ford East River
1 8th June With 2 chicks. Concrete Ford East River
1 9th June Concrete Ford East River
1 10th June Parakila Marsh
1 11th June With 8 chicks. Concrete Ford East River
1 12th June With 9 chicks. Concrete Ford East River
1 16th June Parakila Marsh
1 17th June East River
1 18th June Concrete Ford East River

COOT
3 6th June Kalloni Two Pool
3 7th June Kalloni Two Pool
5 8th June Kalloni Two Pool
7 9th June Kalloni Two Pool
7 10th June Kalloni Two Pool
7 11th June Kalloni Two Pool
5 12th June Kalloni Two Pool
3 14th June Kalloni Two Pool
3 15th June Kalloni Two Pool
7 17th June Kalloni Two Pool
7 18th June Kalloni Two Pool
There was no sign of breeding. The birds didn’t seem to be as black as the British bird. i.e. a washed out black

BLACK WINGED STILT
Titchwell wasn’t the place for Sammy to settle down with this species being seen wherever there was water on Lesbos. About 20 seen on the Kalloni Two Pool throughout the holiday period. Successful breeding was obvious at this site and at the Kalloni Salt Pans

3 or 4 birds were at the Parakila Marsh and a few more were seen at the Polichinitos Salt Pans. Others were commonly seen on both the East and west Rivers

AVOCET
Only seen at the Kalloni Salt Pans. There was no sign that I spotted of successful breeding. The maximum number noted was six

RINGED PLOVER
One was seen on the East River on the 6th of June

LITTLE RINGED PLOVER
LRP‘s were a common bird of the East River and of other stony low lying areas and beaches. They were seen virtually everyday of the two week holiday. The only successful breeding I noted was at the Kalloni Two Pool

KENTISH PLOVER
Regularly seen on the west river and in the channel of the Kalloni Salt pans. Successful breeding at the saltpans

CURLEW SANDPIPER
One seen in near full summer plumage at the Kalloni Salt Pans on the 8th of June

LITTLE STINT
Seen in small numbers at the Kalloni Salt Pans on the 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th of June

GREENSHANK
One seen on the 9th of June at the Kalloni Salt pans

WOOD SANDPIPER
One seen on the 8th of June at the Kalloni Salt pans

RUFF
One seen on the 7th of June in the channel of the Kalloni Salt Pans

STONE CURLEW
1 6th June West River
1 7th June Kalloni Salt Pans
2 9th June West River
1 10th June West River
In all cases these birds were not easy to see

BLACK HEADED GULL
One was seen at the Kalloni Salt workings on the evening of the 15th and another (or perhaps the same one) patrolling over the fishing boats early morning of the 19th of June

YELLOW LEGGED GULL
Common throughout the island. There was a large colony at the mouth of Kalloni Bay

LESSER BLACK BACKED GULL
One seen twice, with the first on the 6th of June at the Kalloni Salt Workings and again by Tom and myself in the same location on the 15th

COMMON TERN
Recorded most days in reasonable numbers everywhere in the Skala Kalloni area. A few were also observed at the Polichinitos Salt Pans with one or two sat on eggs

LITTLE TERNS
Usually seen in small numbers on the East or West Rivers, at the Salt Pans and just out at sea. Seen on all but three dates – 13th, 17th and the 19th

WHISKERED TERN
The odd one seen at the Salt Workings or the East River on the 8th, 9th, 11th and 12th

COLLARED DOVE
Very common around any town or village

TURTLE DOVE
Small numbers seen most days. The Potamia Valley seem to be a favourite location

LITTLE OWL
Difficult not to see these roosting in various locations in the Skala Kalloni, West River and Salt Pans triangle. Two were noted in one tree on one occasion

Many a holiday maker was awakened by these owls calling at night

NIGHTJAR
These were not seen by me but were seen on two or three occasions by a friend at dusk by the Skala Kalloni football pitch

SWIFT
Seen in large numbers especially after the weather turned hot on the 12th

ALPINE SWIFT
The only one seen was by the bridge up the Potamia valley on the 11th

BEE-EATERS
Quite good numbers at the East River mouth until the Skala Kalloni side of the river bank was bulldozed and lorry loads of rubble dumped on the bank tops (from the sea to the first path back to the village). Bee-eaters were also seen in good numbers at the Salt Pans especially on the wire fencing. 20 plus on some occasions

On trips up the Potamia Valley these birds were usually seen in small numbers. On one memorable occasion five were seen in a tree along with four Woodchat Shrike!

HOOPOE
1 7th June East River
1 10th June Low in the Potamia valley
1 11th June East River
2 18th June Flying up the road midway up the Potamia Valley
1 19th June Gulf of Geras from the airport bus

MIDDLE SPOTTED WOODPECKER
This species is widespread in the islands olive groves. Easy to hear but much more difficult to get good views of

SHORT TOED LARK
Odd ones seen in dry areas of the Kalloni Salt Pans, West River and Skala Polichinitos Salt Pans. 8th, 13th, 15th, 17th and 18th

CRESTED LARK
Virtually everywhere with some very confiding

SWALLOW Abundant

CRAG MARTIN
About a dozen were seen in the mountains somewhere between Andissa and Skalachori

RED RUMPED SWALLOW
Surprisingly scarce in the Kalloni area but were seen in small numbers on the 6th, 9th, 10th & 16th

HOUSE MARTIN
Abundant in the Skala Kalloni area especially after the late afternoon thunderstorms on the 11th

TAWNY PIPIT
Seen twice on the 17th. Two on the East River and another one on the path into the village

YELLOW WAGTAIL
Usually seen at the West River in small numbers and in smaller numbers at the East River. They were mainly of the black headed variety

PIED WAGTAIL
One seen briefly on arrival at Mytilini Airport on the 5th

MASKED SHRIKE
Never very prominent and were seen four times only. Singles were seen twice in the Potamia Valley. One seen in an olive grove close to Skala Kalloni and another one in a tree at the side of the Kalloni to Mytilini road

WOODCHAT SHRIKE
Fairly common in the Skala Kalloni area and especially so in the Potamia Valley with four in a dead tree (with five bee-eaters) in a dead tree on the 18th

REED WARBLER
Seen or heard on three occasions and not always associating with reeds. i.e. on by the bridge in the Potamia Valley

GREAT REED WARBLER
One seen briefly in a stand of reeds close to the East River on the 15th

SEDGE WARBLER
Recorded in the west River area on the 6th

CETTIS WARBLER
Common warbler recorded every day of the two week holiday. With its explosive song being a dead giveaway; with patience it was usually possible to obtain good views

OLIVACEOUS WARBLER
I found this the most common warbler of the Skala Kalloni area

WHITETHROAT
Seen in the Skala Kalloni fields on the 6th, 7th, 8th, 16th & 17th

LESSER WHITETHROAT
One seen on the 7th and another on the 9th in the hedges of the fields in the Skala Kalloni area

ORPHEAN WARBLER
1 7th June East River Area
1 10th June Devils Bridge
1 14th June East River area

SARDINIAN WARBLER This was the least of this species that I have ever seen in Greece!
1 7th June East River Area
1 12th June East River Area

COLLARED FLYCATCHER
2 landed briefly in a tree on the beach in front of the English Bar Skala Kalloni while I was sunbathing

WHEATEAR
A pair of wheatears with two or three young was regularly seen in a field in the last hundred yards of the path from the East River ford to the Kalloni Salt Pans

ISABELLINE WHEATEAR
Two seen on the rocky hillside by a small beach (Padoras?) just outside Kalloni Bay and near the village of Tavari

BLACK-EARED WHEATEAR
These handsome birds were commonly seen on many rocky hillsides.

NIGHTINGALE
Usually heard (up to six) in the Potamia Valley and probably at least two in the East River banks vegetation

RUFOUS BUSH CHAT
Three seen on the 15th near the ford by the brick shelter on the south side (sea side) of Kalloni Salt Pans. Four seen in the same area two days later

BLACKBIRD
Stronghold is the Potamia Valley. The birds tended to be wary of humans

GREAT TIT
Reasonably common especially in the olive groves

BLUE TIT
Very Common

SOMBRE TIT
Had trouble spotting this bird. Eventually found in the Potamia Valley on the 10th and another two at the Devils Bridge church on the 16th

ROCK NUTHATCH
Very common in all rocky areas with their calls ringing out over much of the hillsides. Impossible to miss

CORN BUNTING
Abundant in the Skala Kalloni area. Thousands in the East River area

CIRL BUNTING
Only seen twice! 1 on the 6th at the milk marketing board crossroads and another one further up the Potamia Valley on the 9th

BLACK HEADED BUNTING
Extremely common bird of the open fields at this time of year. Impossible to miss

CRETZSCHMARS BUNTING
Commonly see on all high ground in good numbers. However not seen on the visits to Devils Bridge

CINEROUS BUNTING
The only one seen was just off the mountain road between Agra and Messopotos

CHAFFINCH
I never seemed to see chaffinches in low lying areas but they were very common in such areas as the Potamia Valley

GOLDFINCH
Abundant in all terrain other the highest mountain areas

GREENFINCH
Very common in most areas

LINNET
Seen in small flocks at Devils Bridge on the 10th and again at the Kalloni Salt Pans on the 17th

SPANISH SPARROW
Common between the Kalloni Salt Pans and the East River

ROCK SPARROW Three or four close to the Bridge in the Potamia Valley on the 11th and then again near Eressos on the 13th

HOUSE SPARROW
Massive number in the Kalloni district. What a dawn chorus

JAY
Common in most wooded areas. As at home – wary

RAVEN
One seen high over Potamia Valley on the 9th of June

HOODED CROW
Common

JACKDAW
Seen on the 13th and the 14th in small numbers near the road bridge over the East River

============================================

THE BIRDS OF LESBOS
JUNE 1st to JUNE 19th

SITES VISITED
1st Kalloni 2 Pool, West River
2nd Kalloni 2 Pool, West River, East River, Salt Pans
3rd Kalloni 2 Pool, West River, Potamia Valley, East River, Salt Pans
4th Kalloni 2 Pool, East River and Upper East River
5th Kalloni 2 Pool, West River, Inland Lake, Salt Pans, Derbyshire, Skala Polichinitos, Vatera, Achladeri, Skala Polichinitos, East River, Potamia Valley
6th Salt Pans, Achladeri, East River, Parakila Marsh, Devils Bridge, Mountains to Eressos and Sigri, Petrified Forest, the centre of the island,
7th Upper East River, Salt Pans, East River, Petra and Anaxos, Kalloni 2 Pool, High Potamia Valley
8th Potamia Valley, Inland Lake
9th Kalloni 2 Pool, West River
10th Kalloni 2 Pool, West River, Potamia Valley
11th East River and Upper East River
12th Inland Lake, East River, Salt Pans
13th Potamia Valley
14th East River, Salt Pans, West River

WEATHER.
Hot throughout except for a couple of cool evenings at the start. Fairly windy at times.

KALLONI TWO POOL.
When we arrived on the 1st there was only a small area of water left on Kalloni 2 Pool. It finally dried out on the 10th of June.

EAST RIVER.
Little water north of the ford and between the road-bridge on the East River. Some small pools ½ a mile north of the road-bridge on the river proved to be an attraction for yellow-legged gulls, black winged stilts and little egrets.

KALLONI SALT PANS.
The Salt Pans all had water in them. The surrounding channel had little water on the Skala Kalloni side but the far side with more water proved more of an attraction to herons and stork. The scrub area towards the sea was being bulldozed and was devoid of bushes, grass and most birds.

POTAMIA RIVER.
The river was virtually dry throughout the holiday. The Dam was dry on my second visit

LITTLE GREBE
Two were on the Inland Lake on the 5th and again on the 8th. One was in the Salt Pan Channel on the 7th. One was north of the road bridge on the East River on the 11th and pair of adults at the Inland Lake had three chicks with them on the 12th

LITTLE BITTERN
One flew around Kalloni 2 Pool in the evening of the 1st and another was flushed on the East River on the 3rd and 4th of June

SQUACCO HERON
Wonderful close view obtained (where was my camera as the view was down to two or three yards) at East River Ford early morning on the 2nd. 1 at the Inland Lake on the 5th and 8th

LITTLE EGRET
A lot more common than the following list suggests.
2 1st of June Flying high over the West River
1 2nd of June East River
3 2nd of June West River
1 3rd of June East River
3 4th of June Upper East River
1 5th of June Kalloni Salt Pans
8 5th of June Derbyshire
2 5th of June Skala Polichinitos Salt Pans
10 6th of June Derbyshire
3 7th of June East River
1 7th of June Kalloni Salt Pans
1 11th of June East River
10 12th of June Kalloni Salt Pans
2 12th of June East River Ford
16 14th of June Kalloni Salt Pans

GREAT WHITE EGRET
Two on the beach at the entrance to the West River on the 9th with just one the following day in the same location.

GREY HERON
One on the West River on the 1st and one at the Salt Pans on the 6th. One flew into the Inland Lake on the 8th. Three were at the entrance to the West River on the 9th with two the next day in the same location. Three were at the Potamia Valley Reservoir on the 13th and two in the far Salt Pan Channel on the 14th

PURPLE HERON
First one for me seen in the far channel of the Salt Pans on the 6th

BLACK STORK More common than the white stork. Six in the West River area on the 2nd, three over Skala Kalloni, one Potamia Valley and one on the Salt Pans on 3rd of June, two East River on the 4th, one West River on the 5th, one West River on the 9th, one Inland Lake on the 12th and one on the Salt Pans on the 14th

WHITE STORK
One Kalloni 2 Pool on the 2nd with one on the Upper East River on the 4th. Two were on the church in Polichinitos village on the 5th. One flew over the Inland Lake on the 9th and another over the Potamia Valley Reservoir on the 10th. Two on the nest of the church of Papiana on the 11th and four together on my final visit to the Salt Pans on the 14th

GLOSSY IBIS
One on the rapidly drying Kalloni 2 Pool on the 2nd and 4th of the month

SPOONBILL
On the 5th there were three but thereafter there was only two (6th, 7th and 14th) on the Salt Pans

GREATER FLAMINGO
Increasing numbers each time I visited the Salt Pans. On the 2nd 84, on the 3rd 65, the 5th 86, the 6th, 102 on the 12th and finally 122 on the 14th of June and still viewed in large numbers from the airport bus on the 15th

RUDDY SHELDUCK
Fourteen on Derbyshire on 5th and just six the following day

GARGANEY
A female on Kalloni 2 Pool on the 1st and 2nd of June

SHORT TOED EAGLE
Two displaying high over the Potamia Valley on the afternoon of the 5th of June and another one the following morning near Achladeri

BUZZARD
Only seen twice with one in the Potamia Valley on the 5th of June and another high over the Upper East River six days later

LONG LEGGED BUZZARD
One drifted high over the Hotel Pasiphae on the 4th of June and another one was seen in the Potamia Valley the following day. Devils Bridge produced another one on the 6th.

LESSER KESTREL
One seen hovering on the hillside above Sigri on the 6th of June

CHUKAR
One on the rocks at the entrance to the Potamia Valley Reservoir on the 10th

MOORHEN
On the 3rd of June and again the following day and on the 12th an adult was seen at the East River Ford but despite its dryness Kalloni 2 Pool was the easiest place to see this species. Adults were seen regularly before breeding was confirmed with two adults and up
on the 7th. The Inland Lake was another area to spot this water-bird

COOT
Inland Lake where two or three were regular was the stronghold of this bird. The odd one was seen at Kalloni 2 Pool before it finally dried out on the 10th. Two juveniles were spotted on the 3rd and mother the following morning

BLACK WINGED STILT
At least sixty on the Salt Pans. Two-three on Kalloni 2 Pool even after it had dried up and three at the East River Ford on the 14th. Three were noticed as being regular on the upper East River 4th, 7th and 11th

AVOCET
Only seen on the Salt Pans where there were up to 100 on the 14th

STONE CURLEW
Two flushed on the West River on the 9th and 14th of June

LITTLE RINGED PLOVER
Common wader seen in small numbers mainly on the East River

KENTISH PLOVER
A few on both rivers and also on the Salt Pans on all visits

LITTLE STINT
On the 3rd there were two at the Salt Pans and a couple of days later two gave excellent views at the East River Ford

RUFF
On the 4th two on areas of the East River that had virtually dried up

BLACK TAILED GODWIT
One in the channel the Kalloni side of the Salt Pans on the 12th of June

REDSHANK
One Salt Pans on the 14th of June

GREEN SANDPIPER
A single on Kalloni 2 Pool early on the 3rd

WOOD SANDPIPER
One of the commonest waders with three on the East River on the 2nd, three Upper East River 4th, fourteen Skala Polichinitos Salt Pans on the 5th, thirteen East River on the 6th, seven Salt Pans on the 7th, four East River on the 11th and three East River on the 14th
YELLOW LEGGED GULL. The only gull I saw. Common in newly harvested fields and in the Potamia Reservoir. Large numbers in the area of the dead goat pit on the 7th

COMMON TERN
Regular on the two rivers and the Inland Lake and about 100 on the Salt Pans

LITTLE TERN
Common bird of the two rivers, Salt Pans, Inland Lake and coastal areas around Skala Kalloni village

WHISKERED TERN
A flock of ten appeared out of nowhere at the Inland Lake on the 10th and an other fourteen were at the Salt Pans with the two white winged black terns on the 12th

WHITE WINGED BLACK TERN
2 individuals towards the main road at the Kalloni side of the Salt Pan on the 12th of June

COLLARED DOVE
A common bird of most inhabited areas. On the 4th at least 36 were seen between the village and the East River

TURTLE DOVE
Potamia Valley was a stronghold for this bird but I did see 14 in one newly harvested field just off the main road by the Salt Pans on the 14th

LITTLE OWL
Not as evident as 1997 perhaps because many derelict buildings had been replaced

NIGHTJAR
One was in the middle of the road very early in the morning of the 8th close to the road bridge in the Potamia Valley

SWIFT
Inland Lake found to be a favoured location where numbers were large. 200+ on the 5th, 8th and 12th. Numerous over Skala Kalloni towards the end of most days

ALPINE SWIFT
The only one seen flew over the Hotel Pasiphae on the 4th of June

BEE-EATER
Salt Pans was a favoured location for this bird.
8 2nd of June East River and Kalloni Salt Pans
4 3rd of June Kalloni Salt Pans
3 4th of June Upper East River
3 5th 0f June Inland Lake
3 5th of June Kalloni Salt Pans
1 10th of June Potamia Valley
3 11th of June East River
1 12th of June Inland Lake
3 12th of June Kalloni Salt Pans
and my final view of this beautiful bird was obtained when two flew over the Hotel Pasiphae on the 14th

HOOPOE
Five together very close to the dead goat pit on the 7th

MIDDLE SPOTTED WOODPECKER
A flash of black and white in the olive groves was the first sign of this species. Fairly common but not that easy to get good views

SHORT TOED LARK
Never easy to spot among the crested larks. First one seen towards the beach on the 2nd. Another one seen at Skala Polichinitos Salt Pans on the 5th and another single seen at the Salt Pans on the 11th.

CRESTED LARK
Seen everyday, very common and confiding. Difficult to miss but I could never get close with my camera.

SAND MARTIN
Six on the West River on the 1st and the following day another 6 over the East River

CRAG MARTIN
Three or four seen over flying Potamia Valley bridge on the 7th and six on the 10th and three or four in the same location on the 13th

SWALLOW
Common everywhere

RED RUMPED SWALLOW
The odd one seen over Skala Kalloni on the 1st and 6th. A few by the bridge in the Potamia Valley on the 3rd. 3-4 over Anaxos on the 7th. Nowhere numerous

HOUSE MARTIN
Abundant in the Skala Kalloni area and common in all inhabited area

YELLOW WAGTAIL
Mainly of the black headed variety on the saltings of the West River and occasionally on Kalloni 2 Pool, the East River or the Salt Pans. At least six on the West River on the 6th

GREY WAGTAIL
One Salt Pans on the 14th of June

WHITE WAGTAIL
On the 4th one was seen just north of the road bridge on the East River and three more in the same location a week later.

RUFOUS BUSH CHAT At least four on the morning of the 7th by the goat farm on the way down from the dead goat pit but none in a visit to the area on the afternoon of the 11th

NIGHTINGALE
Potamia Valley the stronghold for this species in the Kalloni area. East River and central areas of the island were other good areas for hearing the bird

ISABELLINE WHEATEAR
Two were on the fence by the Potamia Reservoir on the 5th and another on the 7th high up the valley and another close to the reservoir on the 10th

BLACK EARED WHEATEAR
Plentiful in the mountains and in most low-lying rocky areas. One seen on the wires at Derbyshire on the 6th

BLACKBIRD
Not uncommon but wary. Potamia Valley easiest place to see them

CETTIS WARBLER
Common warbler of the Skala Kalloni area. Its explosive song being sure indication of its position enabling some good views obtained when patience was exercised. I well remember several years ago on a boat trip up a river near Parga on the Ionian coast ouzo being told that this bird was a nightingale but by then I had learned that you don’t argue with a Greek who has matrimonial difficulties and who was full of ouzo

FAN TAILED WARBLER
One seen on 5th of June and two seen on the 10th on the south side of the road bridge on the Potamia Valley side of the West River. Apparently this was a favoured location

GREAT REED WARBLER
One heard at the Inland Lake on the 5th of June

OLIVACEOUS WARBLER
One of the commonest warblers in most locations every day but never particularly easy to see

SUBALPINE WARBLER
Another warbler never too easy to see. Good views obtained of a pair in the Potamia Valley on the 5th. Another good view was obtained coming back down the hill from the dead goat pit two days later.

SARDINIAN WARBLER
The only one seen was high up in the Potamia Valley on the 8th

ORPHEAN WARBLER
One seen prominently on the way from the village to the East River Ford

LESSER WHITETHROAT
One seen on the way to East River on the 2nd

SOMBRE TIT
The first one was seen close to the East River Ford on the way back to the village from the Salt Pans on the 2nd. On the opposite of the track to the dam in the Potamia Valley is a small spring where birds drank. This was a good place for this species with 2 on the 7th and 3 on the 13th

BLUE TIT
Fairly common breeding species which was never as easy to see as at home. Usually heard rather than seen. Parties of young were often spotted

NUTHATCH
Two at Achladeri on the 6th. Possible Krupers but cannot be sure what they were. I suspect that I never found the site that is described in Richard Brooks’s excellent publications on the birds of Lesbos

ROCK NUTHATCH
Common bird of rocky ground

SHORT TOED TREECREEPER
At least four at Achladeri on the 6th of June

RED BACKED SHRIKE
One male seen on the Upper East River on the 4th of June

WOODCHAT SHRIKE The Kalloni area’s most common Shrike. One on the 5th, three on the 7th, two on the 8th, four on the 10th and two on the 13th were all seen in the Potamia Valley. Obviously many more were overlooked.

MASKED SHRIKE
On the 5th one was seen at Achladeri and two the following morning. The final two were seen at the top of a small tree by the Salt Pans on the 14th

JAY
Secretive bird of the olive groves and other wooded areas. Seen most days

JACKDAW
Seen in good numbers on a visit to Anaxos on the 7th and in the Molivos area on the 12th

HOODED CROW
Fairly regular sightings obtained throughout the island every day

RAVEN
Two flying towards the dead goat pit on the 7th

ROSE COLOURED STARLING
Just one in a dead tree between the East River Ford and the Salt Pans. This was the only one I heard about in my two weeks on the island

HOUSE SPARROW
Abundant in most locations

SPANISH SPARROW
Common in the Kalloni 2 Pool and East River areas

ROCK SPARROW
Three or four on the roadside close by the Petrified Forest on the 6th

CHAFFINCH
Common in all wooded areas especially in the Potamia Valley

SERIN
Four seen in the centre of the island on the 6th of June

GREENFINCH
Common. Seen or heard every day

GOLDFINCH
Probably the islands most numerous bird after the house sparrow. Found in all locations that I visited

LINNET
Some extremely colourful specimens were seen at Devils Bridge on the 6th and near the goat farm on the Upper East River and the Potamia both on the following day. Six more were seen on the Upper East River on the afternoon of the 11th

CIRL BUNTING
Fairly common bunting easily overlooked with all the other little brown jobs. First one seen by Kalloni 2 Pool on the 5th and again in the Potamia Valley the same day. Twelve seen on the Upper East River and Potamia Valley on the 7th

CRETZSCHMAR’S BUNTING
Two seen on the roadside near the Petrified Forest on the 6th

BLACK HEADED BUNTING
This bird along with the crested lark is one of the most noticeable wildlife sights of the island

CORN BUNTING
Common in all areas and abundant around the East River

WHITE PELICAN
The tame bird was still about and visited various tavernas during the evening looking for food

94 Species
65 for the first time this year
6 Lifers

Birds I was told about but missed in the Skala Kalloni area
Pygmy Cormorant One on the coast near Parakila Marsh. I did look for it but it had gone
Blue Rock Thrush. One seen just up the Potamia Valley on rocks close to the entrance of the reservoir
Roller. One seen in a dead tree between olive groves at the first track off to the right just a few hundred yards up the Potamia track
Gull Billed Tern. One supposedly with the white winged black terns
Black Headed Gull
Scops Owl. Two at the water tower
Broad Billed Sandpiper. Reported to me by a Dane as being at the Salt Pans on June 1
Elenora’s Falcon. About twenty flying down the Potamia Valley in the middle of the holiday

Chris Grimshaw 45 Wigsley Road, Doddington Park, Lincoln LN6 3LA

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]