The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:25 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Blacktoft: 24.06
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:51 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

My last visit had been for the LEO four years ago. I'd been wanting to pay another visit for a while and now that Worlaby Carrs isn't worth going anymore for different reasons I'll be coming here instead, its 14 miles from my house whereas Worlaby is 24.

Although I'd seen on Look North that two celebrities were staying over for a while and more than likely the place would be heaving I decided to go anyway. On arriving the car park was almost full which didn't go down to well but I needn't have worried the people were well spread out :lol:

I had hoped to take a pal but sadly he couldn't make it, always another day. I went to reception and spoke with an informative young lady and after I paid my £3.00 (oap) I set off for the First hide with my trusty trolley loaded with my gear and my trusty stick, both are now regular friends :D

Only half a dozen people in the hide :) but very little on view except the Marsh Harrier, Black-head Gull, Reed Bunting, Coot, Mallard, Grey Heron, Lapwing. Stayed about twenty mins.

Then set off to Townend Hide which turned out to be the last hide I went to, I was there nearly six hours, thank goodness for the garden type chair because the bench seats were terribly uncomfortable on my bony and fat-free posterior :shock: :lol: this hide was full but with plenty of informative birders who filled me in on the main attraction even though it was a long way away.

I got chatting to couples and single people from far and wide which added sparkle to my long day.

Seen from here were Little Egret, 7 Grey Heron, Marsh Harriers, two pair Shoveler, Lapwing, Redshank, Coot, Little Grebe, Buzzard, 8 Curlew over, Black-head Gull, Wood Pigeons.

Of the celebrities I saw them five times and took several photos of one of them, it reminded me of the time I went to London in 1979 to see ABBA and taking their photos, but at least they were much closer but my camera was bog standard unlike Wednesday :)

My one regret was leaving the flask of tea in the car and that there wasn't a portaloo just outside the hide, but I hung on till leaving time 20:45, phew was it a relief to get to the toilets and car :lol:

Really enjoyed my seven hours it was an excellent day, looking forward to my next visit and hopefully I wont wait four years to return!

Kind regards

Max :D

Post subject: Re: Blacktoft: 24.06
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:40 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Due to a very late cancelled hospital appointment with lots of sarnies etc decided to have another session. Arrived at 08:45 and car park was nearly full at far end. Paid my entrance fee and went to Xerox hide not much there with highlight being 6 Spotted Redshank, I'd never seen them in summer plumage, got a few poor pics.Also had 5 Shoveler etc plus a Marsh Harrier.

Had a steady stroll to Marshland hide but very little there got a few pics of a Cormorant.

Then went to First hide and it was useless only had a Little Grebe. Hadn't the energy to get to Townend hide! Went to bench seat outside reception and had a natter some birders I know.

Went back to car and got sarnies and flask out and sat on the seats provided feeding a Robin and chatting to Bill Oddie's double from Driffield and his mate, had a real good laugh.

Departed at 13.15 and has an hour at Carr Dyke but very little there.

Didn't see the stars at Blacktoft but saw then on previous visit plus a few pics.

Cheers

Max

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]