The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:16 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Lake Vyrnwy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:59 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Bit late getting this on here but no worry.

11th - 19th May:

Wanted to return for a while but had been to busy going to Scotland, finally got there after a six year gap. On my last visit Springwatch was there and I hoped that hadn't spoiled it with droves of people there, I needn't have worried it was still how I like it except for the weekends.

Before going I had two target birds which I had sadly missed on last visit, those were Merlin and Hen Harrier, both of which I knew to be there but trying to find them in this massive reserve wouldn't be easy.

Not going to write a very long report this time :wink: .

This time stayed at a B&B nearby whereas I normally go self catering both have their positive/negative points. The house next door had lots of feeders up but these were empty but even so they attracted a regular Nuthatch and Siskin. On the 12th drove around the lake and called at Llechwedd Du picnic site and had a Chaffinch eating out my hand also had a Robin and Nuthatch come very close. A big chopper came over and landed at the hotel, I thought it had gone to rescue someone only to be told by a local it had gone for lunch :lol:

Then went to Y Gadfa for nearly four hours it's a very good vantage point with very few cars etc, this day it was blowing a gale, hadn't long to wait before spotting a female Merlin (one target bird ticked) in the distance. Red Kite (pics) not too close but happy to see it! Also had Raven, Pied Wag, Buzz, Mipits and a male Wheatear.

Later went to the river Eiddew which flows into the lake at the western end, this is good for Dipper, had two. also Nuthatch. Called at Village car park till dark and had my first Mink or Polecat.

13th went to Llechwedd Du again and had 2 Buzz, Nuthatch, Swallows (pics), pr Goosander (pics), Sprawk - 2, some fighter jets screaming over, private chopper, RAF trainer, Cormorant, a Chiffy and a few others. Called at Sculpture Park to eat my sarnies etc had a nice song Thrush etc.

On way back had a Common Sand' perched on a roof next to lake.

14th was ill so stayed in.

15th had two choppers over B&B. Later went to Dyfnant Forest and had a Jay, Bullfinch male and two Buzz. Back to the lake and Village car park and had a Tree Creeper (pics), Missy Thrush. Llechwedd Du where I got some more Chaffs eating out my hand (pics) brill! Saw GC Grebe.

16th: at B&B had a GSW, went out early looking for the Otter near the dam but out of luck. In the afternoon went to Bala to stock up on Oasis but got caught up in a cycle and motorsport race, don't ask! Came back on the mountain very narrow road with extremely steep drops not for the faint-hearted, great stuff. Stayed there for a few hours watching nothing. The road actually leads back onto the Dinas narrow road back to my fave Y Gadfa I was here two hours and blow me got my second target bird with distance pics of a male Hen Harrier, wow this made my day! also had a few Raven and Mipits, heard a Curlew.

At the RSPB hide Capel Coen or whatever they call it had a Marsh Tit plus lots of the other Tit family. Took a pic of the new Pied Fly nest box but never saw it. later went back to Dipper river and got one. On way back side of the lake had a pair of Canada geese and 3 gosling. Back at Llechwedd Du had lots of pics and video of two GSW.

18th spent buying presents etc and more or less stayed put.

19th time to go home.

In total had 45 species of bird, one butterfly a Red Admiral, a Pygmy Shrew, one owl hooting, Grey squirrel gave me a few laughs, choppers etc.

Everything was seen from the car or the B&B. Would have been nice to see a Wood Warbler, Redstart etc but they were seen according to the sightings board in the woods.

Look forward to going again, for me it was 180 miles and the worse part was the roadworks on the M60 but we get these wherever we drive.

Very pleased especially getting target birds!

Kind regards

Max :D =D>

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]