The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:15 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Morvern (Highlands)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:23 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Set off May 16th to a B&B near Lockerbie, the drive there was actually quite good :) . Arrived early evening and the owner was kind enough to pop one of my jacket spuds in the microwave while I got comfortable next to the log burner which they had built since my last visit. She brought the spud with a few nobs of butter yum yum :) . After a good nights sleep and breakfast left at 10.15 and made my way the 210 miles to Drimnin, sadly it was marred by heavy rain, roadworks and a two vehicle crash which involved someone else not me. didn't get to the cottage till 20:00 and it was still chucking it down! I was physically and mentally drained after driving for so long despite numerous stops :!:

The reason for this holiday was to aid my health (having been told that my Crohn's is active again after being in remission for nearly eight years) and hopefully at the end of it feel loads better.

The first three days it rained but it didn't matter because the views of the Isle of Mull as always were stunning even though the hills were shrouded in mist most of that time. On the 18th a three-masted schooner came past which I enjoyed so got the camera out and snapped it. From this day had a pair of GSW visit almost daily, got lots of pics/video of them. They were other birds visiting daily but nothing that I can't get at home, except a Hooded Crow.

On the 19th had a pair or two Great-northern Diver in the Sound of Mull, which I spotted from the rocks at the end of the garden, got distant pics and video, they were around a few days.

I heard a Cuckoo every day which unlike another holiday :wink: it didn't get on my nerves.

I put out bread and jam for the Pine Martens but they never appeared, I found out they go to the big house about a mile away and get fed every night, I'm hoping when I return later in year they will pay me a visit, this time I'll take peanut butter as well :!:

When next to the shore or at the cove Common Sandpiper seemed to be everywhere, got quite a few pics/video.

On the 20th had a few cruise ships come past which for me was a thrill, taking both pics and vids. My favourite ship had to be without a doubt the Calmac ferry "Clansman" on its daily trips out to wherever and back, this thrilled me far more than the wildlife believe it or not :D .

The 21st had a sighting of an eagle on the eastern end of Mull ( seen from cottage) in the afternoon, then in the evening had another over Tobermory :)

On the 22nd which was my first venture out I spotted a Black Guillemot perched on the rocks while I was driving towards Lochaline, couldn't stop as a big tractor was coming my way and there was no where to stop, this was a life tick! Also had a pair of Eider bit later flying along the S of M.
While driving along the narrow track towards Loch Doire Nam Mart stopped for a drink and spotted a butterfly it turned out to be a Small-pearl Bordered Fritillary another life tick and also my first frit' :D

On the 24th spotted a Common Lizard in an old sink in the garden, it was the only hot day we had and the little fella was getting some sun and allowed me some stunning shots.

On the 26th had a ride to Strontian etc and on way there had a cracking Merlin on the moors.

On the 29th decided to visit Glenfinnan and just before the village of Treslaig spotted two eagles high up. Took some pics of Ben Nevis with quite a bit of snow still on it.
On way back had two pair of Red-breasted Merganser on Loch Sunart.

Penultimate day rested up for trip home. May 31st set off for B&B for a two night stay, on way to ferry spotted a Golden Eagle near Kingairloch.

Really enjoyed my two weeks at the cottage with no traffic, no lights no nothing except quietness, wildlife and stunning views.

At the B&B on way home had views of Kingfisher, Red Squirrel, Common Sandpiper (pics/video), Dipper (pics) etc. Well worth a visit just for the wildlife, they do have Otter but sadly I didn't see any.

Over the period I was away I saw or heard 61 species of bird, 2 mice, Red Squirrels, Common Lizard, Common and Grey Seal, Otter, Red Deer, loads of Orange Tip + 4 other species, bats and loads of Moths.

Looking forward to my next trip, health allowing. Sadly I wasn't able to return for the two weeks I'd booked and paid for in late August and early September 2014 due to illness!! But I hope to visit next year 2015. PS: I won't be able to go back to the same cottage, I've just noticed it's been taken off the site :cry: Didnt get there in 2015.

Kind regards

John :D

Last edited by John T Goy on Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Morvern (Highlands)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:39 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

It sounds a great trip, Max, and full of interest over and above the birds seen. Still, you have some 'good' species in your holiday list which are rarely seen in Lincs, plus the Fritillary - and not forgetting Red Squirrel. :D
Scotland never seems to disappoint and I've always enjoyed my trips there.

Regards,

Freddy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]