The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:41 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Galloway Forest Park
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:34 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

A bit late doing this but doubt anyone would miss owt.

Oct 12th - 26th:

One area I'd not visited and read plenty about the wildlife that can be seen with a bit of luck. I knew going late in the season I could be struggling but hey ho thought I'd give it a go :lol: that's the poet coming out.

The drive there was to say the least a bit wet, it rained the full distance with mist and sun thrown in. The cottage was in a wood it was actually a shooting lodge when not used as a holiday home. It was okay but spooky, why, cos nearest humans were a good way off and there was no mobile signal, thankfully there was a pay phone in the lounge. I kept hearing movement outside on roof and round the cottage, I'm more used to hearing traffic at home, and there was very little of that anytime of the day let alone at night, which was a good thing I suppose :^o . Heard Tawny Owl first night.

The first week it rained most days and on one day it was torrential that heavy I had to pull up and wait for it to die down a bit cos the wipers weren't clearing enough to see, the roads were all B class and narrow and twisty. Birds were few and far between I'm sorry to say. At the cottage which I spent a good deal of the time I was filming and photographing a pair of Nuthatch but never got them together :( all I did was from inside I did try from outside but they weren't having any of it.

Main reason for going to GFP was to see the Red Squirrel having never seen one. Caught a ten second glimpse of one in a tree just above the feeders but never saw one again there. Spotted one down the lane at side of it but hadn't chance to get camera out bag and it was right next to me in car. But only saw it twenty seconds.

There was a small stretch of water close by called Loch Ornockenoch and when I finally found it it was a nice deserted place. had c 80 Wigeon which was enjoyable plus a Buzz, Kessy, Mute Swans ( Whooper I was told winter there but I was too early), Little Grebe, Mallard, Moorhen and Coot. Took landscape photos. and 360 video. On the estate where I was spotted a large raptor in distance but no ID. Told that Buzz and Raven breed there. Drove through Carstramon Wood and over the moors towards Laurieston Forest etc and very little traffic the three times I did it. Cracking place looking forward to going back!

Altrhough I had intended going to Belly Mack Farm to watch the Red Kite being fed I got there a little late so parked at side of road and got distance video and pics of them there must have been c100, enjoyed that. Spotted an "Eddie" logging lorry twice that day cracking stuff, it made up for the lack of birds =D> .

On the 17th again spotted a large raptor type bird in the far distance again no positive ID, while watching saw 4 Jay fly past.

Second week stayed at a cottage next to Kirroughtree Forest the views were cracking towards the hills etc. First hour in the area had a ten second spot of the elusive Red Squirrel. Then 5 Jay together. The cottage was superb with everything you could ever need and then some =D> Sadly the RS kept away for biggest part of my stay, mainly because there was more than enough food in the forest I was told. But watching the antics of the Nuthatch and assorted Tits at the feeders was keeping me busy filming and photographing them :D . Again the rain was in plentiful supply but at least the two weeks were warm.

On the 20th I was having breakfast in the lounge and a Sprawk made a pass and a Blue Tit flew into the patio window even though it had those bird stickers on, the Bluey was ok thankfully, and the hawk left empty-taloned.
Found that Wigtown Bay was handy for waders, stopped a few times in the layby and got some decent numbers at low tide from the A75 nothing out the ordinary in waders but still nice to add to tally.

On the 23rd drove along the A712 Queen's Way hoping to spot a Red Deer but they were out of my reach sadly! Did spot 2 Wild Goat on the rocks. And a Goshawk. Later drove the Raiders Forest Drive it was ten miles, and I never saw a single bird but fantastic views !!! I found the drive to be the most boring in all my years of driving. Later on way back cottage saw a sign for Ken Dee Marshes so drove there and parked up to be met by a Red kite looking for supper, got pics and film.

On the 24th drove to Cairnsmore of Fleet in the hope of seeing some raptors, sadly all I saw was one Buzz and no other birds at all, bitterly disappointed!!! It is well known for raptors so I read, I spoke with a volunteer warden ( who said the Grey Squirrel is a pest) who said it's all down to luck, mine wasn't in obviously :( I have to say the scenery was stunning and got plenty of pics plus the 360 video. On way back drove the long way and never saw anyone for ages including wildlife. On a wooden post side of a wood saw a Grey Heron and later a Jay big deal :lol: :lol: :lol: . Thankfully when I was driving past Balloch wood a Goshawk flew out to meet me couldn't believe my luck in fact that made my day nay week! Later while making a text to pals back home, could only do it near the A75 spotted two skeins of 50 geese in distance going north-east.

On the 25th the owner of the cottage I was staying in knocked on patio window saying summat, so I went to back door, she said never mind your breakfast bring your camera we have a RS in garden. So I went and bless me there it was large as life on their feeder, I got a two-minute video and three pics before it scarpered YAHOO at last, I told her this had made my holiday and proceeded back to eat a cold breakfast extremely happy.

On the 26th I set off home and started "Eddie" watching and birdwatching, it was almost unbelievable the amont of raptors I saw, I did stop quite a few times cos I was unwell so maybe that helped, the highlight without a doubt was seeing a Merlin sat on a post as I pulled into a layby on the A66 near the Dalton turn-off, it flew off as I stopped :D other birds seen were 2 Buzz near Twynholm, 30-40 Pink Feet near Clarencefield, 3 Buzz over A66, Kestrel side of A66 and one near the Merlin. Also spotted 24 "Eddie's" grand stuff.

All in all the two weeks I did enjoy, the ten days of rain I didn't, the lack of birds probably due to time of year, the scenery was as always stunning and lastly I am now armed with knowledge I didn't possess before going and when I visit next year ( but earlier than this) I hope to see a certain raptor I missed this time plus more footage of the RS :D

Kind regards

John

PS: All watching was done from the car or next to it .
PPS: 55 species of bird seen or heard plus Wild Goat, Fox and Red Squirrel same.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]