The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:35 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Norfolk Treat
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:26 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Bit late with my report but not to late to have a laugh at it :wink:

A few months ago decided to give myself a birthday treat somewhere, my first choice was the Bakewell area but couldn't find the right digs. So as I'd never been to Norfolk (not strictly correct as I once went with two pals to W/Express near Norwich) checked the different areas and digs and plumped for the north-east. I stayed at a B&B on a farm between Stiffkey and Fakenham without being to specific :wink: ( can certainly recommend its many features).

I arrived at 19:15 after a boring drive ( got behind a very slow car transporter on the A15 between Scunny and Lincoln #-o , then somewhere else got stuck behind a oil tanker for ages ) of 119 miles which took three and three quarter hours, oh for a Motorway! Checked out the digs and they were cracking plus unusually a fridge in my room, a welcome asset as it turned out in the very hot weather.

Next morning (4th) I got an extremely rude awakening at 04:15 with the cockerel sounding off :evil: I'd had four hours kip and I wasn't an appy chappy, only advantage was watching the Sun rising :lol: Out with the bins time to do a bit of watching, didn't do too bad, during the morning had sixteen species of bird including a Buzz, Stock Dove which landed in the hen's area, I'd never seen one close up before and what a nice bird. Oddest thing was a female Pheasant having a very long dust bath which I filmed for a few minutes. I was told the Oyks are a nuisance in the village and then one flew over :P

After a lovely breakfast had a rest and decided where to visit, nowhere I was too sleepy, so had a two hour kip on bed and went out late afternoon. Wells-next-the-Sea was first port of call, made for car park and found the rate was £4.50 per day suffice to say I stayed about thirty seconds :lol: the day was almost over so drove elsewhere, Morston Quay now that was better cos for me it free :lol: and I stayed two hours watching the comings and goings :wink: . Blakeney Quay next but not much going on even though it was free parking after six, stayed 20 mins. Cley Marshes next stayed five mins. Then what turned out to be my favourite spot of the treat Blakeney Point car park, watched a steady stream of terns going back and forth with food to the what I was told was 4,000+ pairs , stayed till 21:10

The 5th my birthday and guess what I was awoken again at 04:15 :lol: by you know who, now this time I took a video to show my pals back home in case they thought it was a wind-up, as if :lol: .again only got four hours sleep :lol: During the day spotted a Song Thrush collecting food next to the farm, did spot a Small Skipper and an odd looking damselfly. For a treat I called in Holt and went for fish cakes, chips and mushy peas and drove to the car park at Blakeney and sat on the shingle and ate them while watching the sun go down, yummy. There were lots of anglers and birders there plus the BH Gulls waiting for some of my chips which they duly got :lol:

Had the Terns for company plus a Cormorant going south, there was a small building which I was parked next to which had juv Swallow on the seats waiting for food they seemed very tame, I could have got some cracking pics but my hands were greasy so left well alone. regarding birthday didn't do too bad got 8 cards, 8 presents, 1 phone call and 3 texts not bad for me =D> :lol: Nearly forgot while I was having a shower in the morning the Red Arrows came over, I waved out the window and shouted thanks lads, wonder how they knew it was my birthday :lol: Maybe Brian emailed them from Waddington :wink: All in all a very good day!

The 6th guess what I had nine hours sleep, yes nine wowee. The Cockerel was locked up till a decent time, I went out later and thanked him for not waking me up, and took his photo :lol:
Today was very hot and I had a ride to Tesco's at Fakenham and got a punnet of strawberrys mmm. Everywhere was heaving so this didn't go down to well, tried quite a few places looking for shade but alas they were heaving as well, so decided to get out the Sun and drove round looking for a big lay-by with trees, found one on the A148 and parked up for four hours and had a treat watching all and sundry pass me by, ah happy days :lol:

Went back to digs and watched the local Barnie patrolling the lane etc, didn't manage to get a piccy but did of the distant church and others. Watched the sun go down and then relaxed watching the repeat of The womens single final at Wimbledon.

Last day (7th) another extremely hot day, departed digs saying I'd enjoyed my stay and will be back sometime ( with ear plugs :lol: ) and then went home via the coastal road and popped into Titchwell for my dinner but got collared by a nice Yorkshire lady who got me to rejoin the RSPB resulting in an emptier wallet than when I went in :lol: , popped into gift shop for pressys and then went home.

End of day managed to not hear how Andy had gone on so watched the highlights and bless me he won yippee good lad, he made my day even better.

Hope you all enjoy the read as usual.

ATB

Max :D :D :D

Post subject: Re: Norfolk Treat
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:15 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Max,

Glad you got out and about as much as you did on your visit to Norfolk. Your B & B was nicely placed to call in at some good sites. It seems you covered a few hundred miles on your round trip.

Your post reads as if you enjoyed it all, early jungle fowl reveilles apart. Congrats on a very readable chatty report, plus a few LOLs. :lol:

Regards,

Freddy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:24 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Freddy,

Much appreciated.

Yes, I did go over the top with the icons, not to everyone's delight I know but that's the way I write.

Regards

Max

PS: Next time I'll try out Pensthorpe etc.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:09 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Not me MaX with The RED S--t.
I have hated them since 1968, when the Buggers, smoked me and a lot of people on a public road and typical ended up working with/for them a few years.

You can't have been in the North East of Norfolk surely it was the North/North West Coast?!

I have a long weekend with the RAF Onithological Society every year based about 5 miles from Titchwell and if I counted probably have a larger Norfolk bird list than Lincolnshire. Glad u enjoyed it, always have a cracking time when I go down there. Really enjoyed the bit about being conned into joining the RSPB, that was the lady in the Garden shed/Gazebo in the car park, I Bet!! and the rest of the chat was'nt bad as well.

PM me if you want some good places for a leisurely wander, if u plan on going again.

Glad u reached 21 again and had a good time.

Brian.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:58 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Thanks Brian,

You are correct, it was the lady in the shed/car park with her partner the extremely friendly Robin who kept landing on the table for it's snack of seed =D>

I noticed the lady and I have one thing in common ( maybe more than one thing :lol: ) we have both got the gift of the gab, on this occasion she won :lol: , although I did tell her if a bloke had approached me I wouldn't have rejoined :lol: .

While sat in me car having lunch I kept an eye on her and all unsuspecting souls as they approached, not sure how many she won over but as I left I shouted to her as far as I was concerned she had earnt a GOLD STAR :lol:

I will be going again this year all being well, so will contact you before I go.

Regarding which compass point I was in. Although you are correct having just looked at my OS map, I can't for the life of me work out how they can say it's north-west, ah well am too knacked to care tonight :lol: .

Sorry you don't like the lads in red :wink:

Cheers

John

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:41 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Ok, Max, will await the missive.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]