The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 pm

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Monthly trip to LGI...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:42 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

March 13th:

Spotted a few Kessy's along motoways and spot of day was at the roundabout with A64 and A6120, as I was coming upto it spotted a large bird low over it gliding, then as I got to it saw it was a Red Kite. That's the second time in a year I've seen one over a roundabout close to Leeds, wonder what it could be looking for?

Then has I was on way home stopped in lay-by where the Red Bus cafe is and spotted a Kessy perched on telegraph pole.

Near Great Heck (M62) there is a small pond which usually has a few ducks on, this time it looked like twoTufties.

Regards

Max :)

Last edited by John T Goy on Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Monthly trip to LGI
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:22 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

April 3rd:

Another trip to Leeds, this time St. James Uni Hospital.

On way spotted a few Kestrel and the rookery on side of M180 near Sandtoft was heaving with them.

On coming out the hospital and into the sunshine, then going to the car we could hear a Song Thrush belting out it's song in a large tree.

As usual was hoping to spot a Red Kite. On driving home along the A64 close to the junction with A1 we had one low over the road what a cracker :D . Just remembered had a Redwing as well.

Had two more Kestrel and near the Trent Bridge/M180 had two Buzzard up.

A good day except for having a go on the tombola :(

There again next week, so hoping to see the RK again.

Kind regards

John & Doggie

Last edited by John T Goy on Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:07 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

April 10th:

Not to LGI but St. James again:

Fared a little better today as follows:

Red Kite - 2 at the junc of A1/A64.
In total spotted 5 Kestrel at the sides of each of the motorways.
c25 Lapwing over M18.
On way home on M180 near Hatfield spotted c20 Swans in a distant field. On the flooded field (scrape) at least 100 gulls.

Earlier had a bit of excitement of sorts with the fire alarm going off and this resulted in no appointment, so...

Regards

John

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:36 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

On way to St. James University hospital spotted two Red Kite together near A1/A64 junction. On way back stopped as is usual at Red Bus Café layby on A64 for my lunch, before getting there as I was near Seacroft spotted a low flying Red Kite only just above the rooftops. While parked up spotted two LT Tit and two Blue Tit.

A most enjoyable drive except the roadworks on the M180 westbound very close to the junction with the M18.

Regards

Max

Last edited by John T Goy on Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:05 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Jan 22nd:

Oddly never spotted a single Kestrel. For the past year tend to spot what I call an "Eddie" trundling along the motorways, my record for one day is 34 but that was on my way home from my digs near Newton Stewart in D&G, on my way to Leeds and home again usually spot about 15 in total, it relieves the boredom of the drive which I've done 100s of times.

While parked at the Red Bus Café spotted a Grey Squirrel, Robin and a couple of Crows, no sign of the Kites.

Cheers

JTG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:45 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

April 14th:

That time again. Just for a change had decided to call at Fairburn Ings on way home. On arriving the car park was full, then wondered why cos although the sun was shining it was bit chilly, for me anyway. Then realised it was school holidays. So instead of watching the birds from the car after my packed lunch I decided to give it a miss other than nipping to toilet. Enjoyed seeing the Tree Sparrows on the feeders and a Black-headed Gull coming next to car to pick up my scraps.

On way to Leeds and way home never spotted a Kestrel!

But on the slip road off M180/M181 junc I spotted two Buzzard just above the trees which I enjoyed :)

One of these times on my way home I'll look for Swillington Ings, I noticed the turn off for the village on the A63.

Another couple of weeks got two more visits.

Regards

John

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:23 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Hello JTG
Re: Swillington ings..the best birdhide ive been in..
The chaps in there a few years ago were telling me Mr Packham had been in discussing the plans for the new reserve..anyway back to the hide..if there were members in (dont know if things have changed)
You could go in because it was a locked hide so therefore open if being used..book shelves magazines..mashing gear (no electric for insurance reasons) it was like a garden shed on stilts where people took there bird books for others to read etc..i remember someone on here discussing a hide that had been vandalised saying they should put a lock..it made me think of this place..hope you are well!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:42 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Hi Andy,

Sounds like a cracking place to visit and have a chat with like-minded people. Must remember to take a flask of coffee and a big big piece of cake :wink:

Re: me health is okay from neck up ta :)

Cheers

JTG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:10 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

It's that time again, this time LGI. Fared a little better this time.

Dec 3rd:

M18 near Thorne a Buzzard low.
At A64 Red Bus Cafe lay-by had a single Robin and Wren showing well in the sunshine.

On way home had two Buzz side of M62, then a Kestrel side of M18 and in a field alongside the M181 spotted two Grey Heron.

Well pleased.

Regards

John

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:07 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

On way home driving along the A64/A6120 spotted four Red Kite circling above roundabout :D then stopped at the Red Bus cafe lay-by and had two Grey Squirrel in the trees plus a Robin looking for a meal so gave it some of my sarnie (hope it liked gammon and cheese) set off an hour later.

Close to Beltoft spotted a Kestrel, Buzzard and c800 Gulls in two ploughed fields.

Always a cracking day when I spot my favourite raptor/s.

Regards

John :D

Last edited by John T Goy on Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:41 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Twice in nine days mmmmm

Before I mention my sightings, have to mention one particular sighting at 07:29 from my driveway, the International Space Station (ISS) came over and was visible for four minutes, it was best sighting out the three I've had, knocked on the next door and told them, mum and two of the children got good views and even better with my bins, sadly left camera in house but there are loads more chances this month ( I get updates when the best times are) BRILL :D :D :D

Right. Stopped in my regular lay-by on the A64 for my sarnies and flask of tea. Was parked there 150 minutes. For 90 of them I had a cracking display from three Red Kite and a single Buzzard going back and forth across the road to a small wood at one side and open farmland the other. One of the kites seemed to have either a loose feather or something dangling from it's talons. as I never got out the car to look at their antics I couldn't really tell what it was. The colours of the Kites stood out with the sunshine shining on them, it was stunning. Although the Buzzard was alone all the time he was within striking distance at times, at one time it went very high.

I enjoy seeing all raptors and have always said it is a tie between the Red Kite and the Marsh Harrier which I like best, but every time I see the Kite it has got to be my all time favourite, it gives me such a thrill if I see one or 100+ as I did in Scotland at Belly Mack Farm feeding time :D

While I was at the lay-by also spotted 3 LT Tit, 1 Crow, 1 Robin, 1 W Pigeon, 1 Blackbird, 1 Great Tit. Well chuffed!

On way home I spotted a murmeration of Starlings dancing in the sky just after I got on the M180 not sure how many but maybe a thousand maybe less, I was too busy driving and I didn't have anyone with me.

Noticed a flooded area (been there a few year) was more flooded than usual, on the westbound side somewhere near Hatfield, sometimes gets 100s of gulls, doesn't look accessible.

When I arrived in Leeds there was a heavy snow shower but by time I left it had almost gone.

Kind regards

John :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:06 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

April 14th:

Before the new A1 was built near Ferrybridge etc I always went via the A63 then started going on the A64, this time deiced to go the A63 way for a change, put me sat-nav on just in case of new roads. On the day had a decent total compared to most visits.

On the A1 spotted a Kestrel and on the M62 a Mute Swan a Lapwing on the A63 ( when I say on I dont mean on I mean side of) then while parked in car park at hospital spotted 6 Magpie and a similar number of Wood Pigeons. While enjoying a corned beef, cheese and pickle sarnie I heard a familiar sound and thought no it can't be not in a city, so got bins out and there on top of the roof was a pair of Herring Gull with their pink legs, not sure if they have set up camp or were just passing through.

Then on way home stopped at a pull-in on the A63 (not a proper lay-by) close to the old A1 and while watching spotted a odd looking corvid type bird ( I text my mate giving him a details of said bird but he had no idea) the bird was from viewing it a Crow as it flew away from me i could clearly see something a Crow shouldn't have, a white trailing edge?? ( don't know the technical term) to the rear of each wing underneath and NO it wasn't a Magpie because it's belly wasn't white and it didn't have a long tail. The bird was dark all over and of Rook/ Crow size? sadly the bird flew away from me and didn't return. Maybe it was an hybrid or whatever. I looked at all my guides but nothing to suit it!!

On M18 later had 2 Buzzard overhead.

Well chuffed! :)

Cheers

Max

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:09 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Aug 3rd:

Had an afternoon appointment, didn't see much of anything on way but on way home didn't go the A64, went the A63 and parked up just before the first roundabout before the A1. Sometimes see a Red Kite but not on this occasion.

Swallow - 2
Crow - 4
Goldfinch - 2
Buzzard - 2
Wood Pigeon - 6
Kestrel - 1

Considering seeing one of the largest Buddleia I've seen close by there was not one butterfly!

Anyway enjoyed the flask of tea and ginger biscuits plus the above.

Regards

John

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:54 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

March 17th 2016

This time managed to see a few bits.

On way there spotted three Mallard over the M181/M180 junction plus the rookery near Sandtoft/M180.

Turning off the A1 onto the A64 about a mile down the road spotted two Red Kite overhead. Bit further on a load of corvids, c200 Wood Pigoen and c30 Black-head Gulls.

On way home stopped at usual place on the A63 and only saw c300 gulls near the landfill site plus two Buzzard on the M62.

Kind regards

John

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:26 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

On the road again to Leeds April 6th spotted a Red Kite over the A1/A64 junction. On way home spotted a Buzzard low over the car at the usual stopping-off place on the A63.

Well chuffed!

Cheers

John :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next