The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 7:43 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: western sandpiper
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:49 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I decided to go for this bird that has been at Cley for a couple of weeks now
Miserable weather when I arrived
Yes the bird has been seen I was told when I paid my fee
So off I went to Daukes hide full of expectation even though the wind was blowing and it was drizzling heavily with the cloud being extremely low
First thing I saw was a peregrine putting the the fear of God into everything (even the marsh harriers)
Eventually the peregrine disappeared after giving a great show and things began to return to normal. The teal and lapwing returned and there was even a flock of 15 avocet. A single distant sanderling set one or two pulses racing. But really where were the waders?
Compensation was a green winged teal which I didn't realise was a lifer for me until I returned home
Eventually somebody said "was that the sandpiper" as it dropped down in front of us and promptly flew off again. Luckily enough I noticed it fly off and drop in among some lapwing a couple of hundred yards away. Yes it was the western sandpiper (lifer number two for the day) which showed well for about a quarter of an hour. Eventually it dropped down in front of us briefly but then flew off out of sight
Time for a walk as the weather had improved significantly. Eight marsh harriers were in the air together which was an impressive sight. Arnolds Marsh was quiet but there was an amazing amount of pintail in front of Swarovski hide. At least 150 which I think was a record number for me. There were big numbers of pink foots (est. 2000+) which included one or two bean geese which I couldn't pick out. There was at least one shag and a red throated diver on the sea at the site of the beach cafe which I didn't realise no longer existed
All in all an enjoyable day - shame it is about 8 or 9 years since I visited this reserve

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]