The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 8:12 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: North Cave Wetlands...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:56 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Sept 1st: North Cave Wetlands: 0930 - 1145

Not much to say about this visit except it was a poor do. I expected a good selection of waders but found none. Other birders were disappointed as well. I'd read the recent sightings report on their website and I expected to see raptors and other good stuff, but saw nowt except the ducks, geese etc. One sight which I did enjoy was a pair of Great-crested Grebe with one carrying two young but this was a long way off. Always a joy to see the Little Grebe's but only saw one tern.

One thing which annoyed me was the asking of donations for the upkeep when using the portaloo because the previous one had been burnt down. If it had been in a clean state and the light had been working I may have popped a donation in the box BUT on opening the door it was like looking in a very dark dank place, I was desparate to go but on shutting the door I couldn't see a thing, so left still desparate. I think they should pay us to use it not the other way round :x

The aroma from the mobile cafe were lovely but I'd taken a flask and sarnies etc so left.

From there went to an area on the Wold's Way where I have been loads of times in the hope of seeing the Red Kites, I managed to see two together with two Kestrel, two Swallow, a Speckled Wood and lovely scenery. I arrived at 1210 and left at 1250. Stayed in car for an hour and had dinner but in all that time only viewed a few pigeons.

Then went Blacktoft village as I'd always wanted to see what Blacktoft Sands RSPB reserve looked like from the other side. As it turned out I've no idea because there was no where to park other than the pub and I don't like going in them alone as I get extremely anxious [ am okay when I have my pals with me though] so that was very disappointing :( Also the drive from the main road through the villages Faxfleet, Yokefleet, Oxmarfleet[?] and Blacktoft itself was DEVOID of birds I just couldn't believe it :shock: If I'd been on the south bank there would have been loads of birds, its not an area I wish to return to as a birder, unless I can get one of my pals to go with me to the pub at Blacktoft. I did manage to find a rough bit of ground near Faxfleet and look over the river but couldn't see the mud because of the reeds! I managed to see one Marsh Harrier over the rspb reserve and where I was parked were 100+ hirundines.

I then drove to Welton hoping to view the lakes but couldn't find them and never saw a single signpost directing to them, I did ask a local who said they were at Brough. Never been before and probably never will :lol:

The day wasn't helped by my bad back giving me hell :evil: So by the time mid afternoon came I decided to go back to my own county and call at Bonby and Worlaby Carrs in the hope of seeing summat good. Arrived at Bonby at 1615 and stayed thirty minutes the highlight was c200 Goldfinch going back and forth, then had an hour at Worlaby where very little was seen until I was leaving and a Marsh Harrier arrived.

Kind regards

John

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]