The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 12:04 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:00 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

I am way late writing this report but better late than never.

We set off May 20th and stopped over at Riverside Mill B&B near Lockerbie [can recommend the breakfast] then next morning started on our way to pick up provisions at Dumbarton. Then on our way to meet the ferry we and a few others got behind a Sunday driver :wink: and this resulted in us missing the ferry but we managed to catch a later one. All the time we were in Oban it chucked it down with rain and by the time we reached Mull it had almost cleared up. We were staying in a cottage on the edge of Loch Na Keal with fantastic views towards Ben More... The cottage was okay but the double glazing let too much wind in for my liking :wink: From Scunthorpe to the cottage it was 364 miles.

We hadn't been there long before my mate spotted a Golden Eagle on the ridge, this was to happen almost every day, whereas I only spotted it once #-o .On the Sunday while I was in the lounge scanning the loch I spotted a Black-throated Diver and my mate said that was lucky, he also saw it through my scope. We later had a ride to Tobermory and did a recce as far as Ulva Ferry. We had a Golden Eagle on way back. Monday we had the raging storms which hit Scotland and we stayed put. Tuesday we had a day out visiting places we had read about online but most were a dead loss: Lochdon was void of birds, Grass Point had more birders than birds, Salen Pier was empty, Garmony was more profitable with Black Terns and a few waders and lastly Craignure Golf Club only had a single Golden Plover. Wednesday we had heavy rain again and didn't go out till evening and we went to the southern side of the loch and had Red-throated Divers etc.

On Thursday we drove towards Fionnaphort on the B8035 and had stunning views both upwards and across the sea! We drove around Loch Scridain and had Eiders and Mergansers to name but a few. During the day we saw a total of five Golden Eagle all of which were stunning. We had a cuppa in Bunessan. We hoped to find Corncrake at Fidden but didn't, and I didn't fancy the ferry as it was blowing a gale [-o< So we made our way back well pleased with our sightings etc.

On Friday I took my mate to catch the Lady Jayne charter boat at Ulva where as it turned out he got some fantastic shots of the Sea Eagle catching his dinner on the loch! I could have gone but I'm not keen on boats especially small ones :) While he was on the boat both myself and the couple in the other cottage watched as the Golden Eagle's were displaying, which for me was certainly the highlight of the trip.

From the cottage we had loads of sightings including a Bank Vole which my mate spotted first, then I saw it but only once. Seeing the Buzzard and Hoody come and get food was thrilling. :D :D

On the last day on Mull we went for the ferry and then I took my mate to catch train at Perth, and then I went to another cottage at Drybridge near Buckie. On the way I was very lucky to spot a Golden Eagle near Braemar. During my stay I visited the Loch of Strathbeg [well worth a visit] and saw the Osprey and three male Garganey plus Common, Arctic and Sandwich Terns all nesting. For those of you wanting a laugh I inadvertently dropped my glasses in the toilet YUCK =D> =D> and another birder recovered them for me :D

Also spent a day at Spey Bay reserve seeing close ups of the Osprey and lots of waders. On way back stopped at Portgordon for an hour or so and watched the sunset and the Grey and Common Seals. Also had a few hours at Portessie chatting to the locals who didn't seem to mind me chatting unlike some of the members of this forum [-X :lol: Oddly enough considering the cottage was surrounded by woodland I hardly saw any woodland birds but maybe next time I will. Did see some deer though.

What I found amazing at Drybridge was that it never got properly dark, on two occasions I was stood in the lane at 02:00 and it was still light enough to see the horses in the field opposite and the sea. :shock:

I did enjoy both holidays even though I told some I didn't enjoy the first, it was the driving I didn't enjoy doing 1500 miles in 16 days isn't my idea of fun, maybe next time I'll go by train.

One of our members is on Mull this week and I hope they have a great time and see more Sea Eagles than we did, we only saw one! But seeing one is better than none, also seeing a good number of Golden Eagle is excellent!

Here endeth the first lesson!

Kind regards

John aka Max

PS: While on Mull a guy at Loch Na Keal said " don't I know you", not as far I know I said, yes I do you go to MSQ and are on LBC Forum he said. Now I know what these celebrity's have to put up with :lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]