The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 12:09 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:45 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

An UNBELIEVABLY productive week's holiday at Cley produced the following brace of five EPIC Lifers!!!!

For any beginners unsure with the term 'lifer', this simply means that it is the first time someone has seen a particular species of bird. As you know, I left for Cley on 199 Lifers, and it's been a long-standing piece of knowledge in here that when I got my 200th Lifer, I would be celebrating by having a large pizza and a glass of red wine.

Well.... when I saw a certain bird at Cley.... I qualified for it!!!! And afterwards, all Hell and pandemoniums broke loose on the Lifer front. It was a week's birdwatching that has you pinching yourself to see if it's actually happening. If you incorporate the Black Tern and Red-necked Phalarope I'd seen at Frampton beforehand, it was 7 Lifers in 7 days; a turnover I hadn't experienced since 2007.

Lifer 1 - by shingle bank, a group of 5 late-staying SHORE LARK.
Lifer 2 - Five minutes after seeing the Shore Lark, 3 TEMMINCK'S STINTS.
Lifer 3 - 2 days later, I got reasonable views of a female CITRINE WAGTAIL.
Lifer 4 - Later the same day as the Wagtail, along came 2 STONE-CURLEWS.
Lifer 5 - To provide the cake icing on an already-unbelievable week, 1 LESSER YELLOWLEGS popped in for a small stay.

Suffice to say, when I got Lifer 200, I celebrated in my usual vibrant way!!!! Instant grin, a few elated "YES!" vocalisations and a little dancing!!! I dipped on the Great Snipe and the Richard's Pipit in the week, but there'll be plenty of time in the years ahead for me to add them to the Life List! The week also cooked up my first sighting of a Swallowtail butterfly at Hickling Broad and a Chinese Water Deer on Cley Marshes.

Will be having the pizza to celebrate the 200th alongside the return of Springwatch later this month, adding 5 extra toppings for each new bird seen on holiday. I feel as though I've 'come of age' with my list. The road to 300 will be a slow and arduous one, but I am utterly, bloody-mindedly determined to get there. Later on, I'm going to review my Life List, as there's a possibility I forgot to list Snow & Lapland Bunting to it. I COULD have hit 200 when I saw the Smew at Kirkby Pits back in March.

What a week!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:32 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Well done Katherine. I'm still waiting to see citrine wagtail and lesser yellowlegs, and stone curlews have been high on my list for a few years now.

Geoff

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:55 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Good to see such enthusiam for the delights of birding, long may you continue, i shall never forget my first spring shorelark in breeding plumage 35 years ago. regards John.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]