The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 11:30 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: dungerness wot a trip
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:07 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

after missing the white tailed plover in lesbos then israel then india then leighton moss i watched the movements of this bird from rainham to river seven then dungerness and got itchy feet and went on a twitch. phoned dave sneap and des my old muckers from derbyshire at around 09.30 and picked them up in newark around 11.00. arrived at dungerness (never been before) just after 14.30 and was directed to the corrct site and saw my bogey bird with much relief. apart from good views of the plover we had a great half days birding. we also saw the purple heron, great white egret, bittern, gargany and 3 superb hobbies swooping on dragonflies and soaring up feeding in flight pulling the wings of the dragonflies and swallowing them whole absolutely superb views then we went to the power station and saw a pair of black redstarts and med gulls, wot a day and a lifer to boot, i do not get many of them. though as mr sims would say its just a tarts tick :lol: . left dungerness around 19.00 and dropped my mates of in newark around 23.00 after stops for a bag of chips and coffee and i arrived home around 00.30 absolutely cream crackered, big glass of celebratory bells then bed, phew !!! :D :D

terry whalin :D :wink:

ps forgot we had a red kite over the a1 :D :wink:
sorry about the slip folks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:19 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Terry,
What a great day's birding plus that c 8 hours' driving stint .....no wonder cream crackers were on your mind soon after midnight. :wink:
Glad my old local patch (1977-99) lived up to its great reputation - Dunge and the immediate area can really deliver, time and time again.
My wife tells me I went a paler shade of (greenish) white as I was reading your report.....I think they call it envy. :cry:

Regards,

Freddy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:33 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

freddy, 540 miles round trip but with a car full it worked out only £18 each. from newark we were on dual carriageway or motorway till ashford and i averaged around 60 mph and it was well worth it, a great trip and many much sought after species. egrets herons etc 5 species in a day in england, never done that before. grey heron, purple heron, little egret, great white egret and bittern plus the other goodies, yes quite a place, :D :D

terry whalin :D :wink:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]