The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:20 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dead snakes
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:11 am 

On a regular walk around the Chambers Farm Wood complex yesterday I found 4 dead young grass snakes on the main ride leading from Minting Triangle to the smashed gate at the edge of the wood. Quite obviously the work of humans, possibly the same chavs that smashed the gate a few weeks ago so they can ride their motorbikes on an NNR. I've already emailed the FC.

Adi :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:07 pm 

I was back there today and found even more in the same area, 8 along the ride. A couple of low res pics in May 2006 album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:03 pm 

9 there today, I must have missed one. One theory for the massacre is that the probabtion service has been working in the area and somebody doesn't like snakes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:19 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Adrian,
I normally respond via the Private Message system but this is for the benefit of those who may have been misled by your "theory". You are aware that I am responsible for their work programme and I can confirm that the Probation Service (Community Punishment) have never worked in that part of the complex and do NOT have access to it. They have done a tremendous amount of excellent conservation based activities at Chambers Farm Wood for over 10 years and your "theory" is both incorrect and very unhelpful! On a positive note, enquiries are being made to try to find out who or what is responsible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:10 am 

PM Sent

Thanks Stuart. I must congratulate you and your "volunteers" for your excellent work over the last 10 years.

Theories are made to be disproven, shot down in flames. Here is another theory or two; weasels, foxes predating the young grass snakes. Or perhaps they have been run over by bicycles. The snakes do like to sun themselves on the rides whenever possible.

Good to know enquiries are being made, 9 corpses in a small area does seem unnatural but perhaps a herpetologist could enlighten us. Are there any in Lincs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:50 am 
North Lincs Bird Recorder
North Lincs Bird Recorder

Yesterday at Chambers Wood I saw one live and one dead Grass Snake. The dead one was in three pieces next to a mown track. Judging by the colour of the mown grass and the state of decomposition of the snake I would guess that the mowing and death were not disconnected.

John

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]