The Lincolnshire Bird Club

The LBC Forum. To register on this forum YOU must NOW be a member of the LBC - see Membership Page for details.
To join the LBC Forum you must be a Member of the Lincolnshire Bird Club - Click here for Membership Information
If you would like to post an item, but ARE NOT a forum member please submit information using the Record Form: if suitable the information will be posted on the LBC Forum on your behalf.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:34 am

LBC Homepage - The Photo Album - Submit a Record (for Non-members)/ or Request - LBC Forum Information and Access Help - Forum Information

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hedgehogs
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:28 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Two regular hedgehogs in garden..not sure when hybernating time is but these two spiky's are nicking cat food every night..i must admit ive grown quite fond of them & buy extra now..how do you tell if they are male or female without turning them over...

Post subject: Re: Hedgehogs
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:54 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Well I would say - leave out a tin of cat food and a tin opener and see if they can figure out how to open it. If they give up and order a takeaway instead, you know you've got two blokes there. But I wouldn't want to be sexist!

In all seriousness, I believe it's pretty hard to tell the difference without taking a peek at the nether regions. Males may be a little bulkier, but I'd imagine the size difference would be marginal, particularly at this time of year when both sexes should be fattened up ready for hibernation.

They really should be thinking about hibernating now, but will come out occasionally if the temperature isn't too low. Let's just hope that all that cat food you're feeding them keeps their weight up for the winter. Hedgehogs are in real trouble at the moment, and need all the help they can get, so I applaud you for buying food for them! =D>

Lucky you having hedgehogs in your garden. I'm sandwiched between two "concrete gardens" with homeowners that don't give a damn about flora or fauna of any kind. It's been years since I've seen a hog round here. :(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:39 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Ha ha..a most excellent write up..you made me chuckle..i have now bought them their own dish so they dont have to knock bowl over when they lean over it..no waxwing no hogs..you did get kingfisher so its not that bad..thanks for applause..i bet you get green woody before i do..ive heard they're on docks so im heading your way soon.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:14 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Those are some spoiled hedgehogs! You'll have to get them a nest box next.

Green woodpecker...? Seen a few of those :oops:

But I have a list of 'birds not seen' that makes me feel a little bit sick sometimes! Lots of work to do..

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:47 am 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

My buddy's didn't turn up last night..im hoping theyve gone to bed for the winter..dont blame them..but im a bit concerned cos on way to work yesterday there was a pest controller van 3 houses away..hope they havnt eaten something not intended for them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:46 pm 
Lincs Bird Club Member
Lincs Bird Club Member

Phew..just reporting hedgehogs ok..been feeding on cat food & tuna mayo. Leave water out but it keeps freezing..must be difficult at times for them.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]